Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I am interested in finding the most powerful 8mm cartridge that can safely be chambered into a large ring 98 action,using the existing barrel. I have heard of the belted 323. Hollis,but don't know if this is what I'm looking for.A practical wildcat that I'm using now is 270 or 30-06 brass sized with a 8mm mauser size die. With the extra length neck and case capacity I can duplicate 8mm-06 loads (150gr.spire point,52 gr.IMR 3031 at 3,000 f.p.s) and still shoot regular 8mm ammo.This all started when I thought to my self I would rather ream the neck of the chamber deeper than trim all that extra brass,the extra velocity was an unseen plus and I have been hooked on it since,now I want to go up another level if possible:D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The Spanish wildcat 8mm Mazón is what you are looking form, but keep in mind that it is not suitable for most older (case-hardened) large ring Mauser actions. Here is the URL:

http://www.municion.org/8/8x64Mazon.htm

Apart from that, there are the two machinegun cartridges 8x59 RB Breda and 8x63 Swedish Browning (ah yes, and the 7,92x61 Norwegian).

Carcano

1 - 3 of 3 Posts