Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I' am searching for the most powerfull 8mm wildcat that can be safely chambered into a large ring 98 action. I,v read that the .323 Hollis is a belted round but do not know if it would work. I have a practical 8mm wild cat now,and it is nothing more than 270 or 30-06 brass sized with a 8mm mauser die.What you end up with when you do that is 8mm brass 2.5 inches long with a long neck.Most normal people at this point would trim that extra brass off,but if you ream your chamber and work up loads accordingly,you get 8mm-o6 ballistics. The practical side is that you can trim those necks when they split and shoot normal loads with no effect on accuracy.
I used a Turkish mauser back when they cost $30 for that project,it has a long throat so the bullets in the new longer case do not get rammed into the rifling. The one handi cap to this humble wildcat is the magazine length,but that could be the next project. I don't know if an 'improved' 8mm-06 is out there but that would most likely be all that you could wring out of an old 98 action.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.