Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for recommendations on what type of surplus 8mm is best to use in turk 1893 rework 1936.

I have some erjecito 7.92 SS I haven't tried yet.

I'm looking at yugo, czech, romanian & turkish surplus..

Any known problems with any certain types/years surplus? Anything I should stay away from?

Any highlights/positives on certain surplus?

Oh, also,, more bang for the buck is good too.. what's cheap, but safe & good

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shot everything in my Turk mausers. A new fireing pin spring will help with some surplus ammo.

Is it an 1893 or one of the later models with the 98 type action?

Reason I'm asking is because 99.99% of the surplus ammo found is/was designed for use in the 98 type actions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You don't want to shoot full power 8x58JS loads in a 1893 cock-on-close action. The 1893 action was not designed to take the pressure of the JS loading. Some people have shot the Romanian steel cased 8mm in the 1893's because it is a low power load. If you reload you can down load the Turk ammo to say 40 grains of Turk powder, the full power Turk load has approx 48gr of powder, and that will be safe as well. Most likely, American Made, 8x57JS, Comercial SP, see Remington, ammo would also be fine to shoot because they load it light in case someone shoves a .323/8x57JS cartridge in a .318/ 8x57J chambered 1888 GEW Mauser.

Shooting WWII Turk ammo in an 1893 Turk is dangerous. Yes you could probably get by with it maybe 100 times and then on the 101 st firing your receiver explodes and maybe you die...

Be careful, all mausers are not created equal........

Smokepole50

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stick to Romanian and Yugo 8mm and you'll be fine. I must echo the advise of Dr. Smokepole regarding Turk ammo. Dont do it. Stick to stuff with moderate loads. If firing Yugo, get yourself a Wolf spring for full effect 8mm goodness. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts