Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 600 rounds of 50's Iranian 8mm Mauser ammo and brought my newly acquired m48 to the range. Every round was click boom about 1/2 second delay. I sold off half of it to someone who reloads for almost what I paid. Today I went to the range and had limited time to shoot a lot. I fired 10 rounds and had no hang fires. The M48 shot the 1943 Turk ammo no problem, I'm assuming the M48 has a light strike that the 50's ammo does not like. Is this common on older ammo or was it just a fluke that they all shot well?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not the strike, it's the ammo. Iranian/Persian ammo is notorious for being crap due to poor storage over the decades. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it. Everything else you put through that Yugo should work well.

Jim

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
I have RARELY heard about anybody ever having ignition problems with Turkish ammunition. You will likely not have any real issues with the Romanian, either.

As has been mentioned, the Iranian is completely another story. There is a reason that they don't ask too much for it.

You MIGHT try a heavier firing pin spring, but odds are that it will not help all that much.

The good part of this story is that pulled 8mm bullets are pretty hard to come across right now, and you could easily cut your losses (or even make a bit) by selling the rest of the Iranian for reloading components. The powder is likely OK and the bullets are what they are, The primer is going to be the issue.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Turk stuff I've had for 20 years I've only shot 500 or so and have had 2 ftf then they fired with a second strike (from the M48). The Romanian should be fine I just bought 2 spam cans I think it's 70's or 80's production. It just seems strange that the Iranian stuff seemed to work in the K98. I must've shot 25 rounds in the M48 and only had 3 work properly and the K98 was 10 for 10. I Paid 2 cents a round less than the Romanian .34 / .36 per round.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Yugo 50s is also well known for FTF in M48s.

Lots of posts on this. The iranian ammo has a hist. of FTF and other issues. It is not desirable for most shooters. OK for pull down.

It is also well kown and tons of posts on the FTF fire problems with certain 8mm ammo in M48s.

The common easy fix is to upgrade the firing pin spring to a 22,24, 26 or even a 30 lb spring. This fixes a lot of the issues.

Available at Wolff springs. Or used to be available.

Your issue spring is 19 lbs on the M48.

Storage conditions on some of the milsurp 8mm and a slightly recessed primer on the fifties Yugo is the cause of a lot of the problems.

All of the ammo you mentioned shooting is only good for plinking, no consistancy except for the Romanian and it is not made for the M48. It is LB ammo. But it shoots well and goes bang and cycles well. Accuarcy is not optimum for 8mm.

Turk ammo has a ton of variables. It is not all the same.

In gen. the Turk out of the forties shoots OK out of carbines, but shoots better out of longer barrelled rifles.

The 1947 Turk is well known for being the stinko year, with loose bullets etc.

Other Turk comes in LB and HB and many diff. years of mfgr. So it is hard to make any absolute statements.

Some Turk is LB around 154 grn. give or take and is VERY fast ammo. Hefty recoil.

In gen. Turk 8mm does not have FTF problems. There are some lots that may have issues.

You will get a wide variety of stories on Turk ammo depending on lot and year, storage cond. etc. Info. I posted is in gen.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know the lbs of the K98 spring, cause that had no hang fires. Is the Romanian good for the GEW98 and the K98? I'm no marksman I usually just try to see how many times in a row I can hit a 12" offhand at 100 yards. I have no optics on my Mausers and will never alter them, I'm going to work on being a better shot in the spring.
Thanks RH for the info

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Do you know the lbs of the K98 spring, cause that had no hang fires. Is the Romanian good for the GEW98 and the K98? I'm no marksman I usually just try to see how many times in a row I can hit a 12" offhand at 100 yards. I have no optics on my Mausers and will never alter them, I'm going to work on being a better shot in the spring.
Thanks RH for the info
I don't recall the spring pressure on K98s, but it is a longer spring and different ball game. K98s seem to handle the FTF issues better than the Yugo Mausers.

Romanian ammo at least the old batches LB was exc. plinking ammo. It is reasonably accurate and had no issues in gen.

I am not up to date on the recent batches of Romanian within the last few years or so.
But I don't recall any complaints about it.

In Mausers that have hard cycling issues the Romanian worked very well and cycled good.

Of course like all 8mm milsurp it is corrosive, so clean accordingly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have two 24/47's. One has never mis fired. The other had light primer strikes and multiple mis fires. Changed to a 26 lb spring and no more problems. Since the 24/47's where rebuids and they used some m48 parts in them, I think one had the original 24 spring and the mis firing one had a new 48 spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.