Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently purchased a Turkish Mauser. I was curious about ammo types. I purchased federal 8mm mauser SP, the anmo worked great and fired great. The only issue was price, I started searching for ammo that was an it cheaper. I came across some ammunition that doesn't have a brand name it just states made in Romania. I purchased just a box to see it how it fired (this ammo also stated it was non-WWII dimensions). When I received the ammo I was eager to fire. The ammo fired just fine, the only thing I'm skeptical on it was when locking the bolt it requires a little bit more force than the federal ammunition. Is this ammo safe to use? Should I continue to purchase it? Why is it that it requires more force to lock the bolt into place?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
I have used the Romanian with good results. Might be a tad dirty as far as powder in the barrel. Being it is steel cased it could be that it has lacquer on the case to prevent tarnish. Your chamber might get gummed up after firing a lot of this ammo. Just clean the chamber if it gets to bad. Now another issue if the bolt number does not match the receiver number you should have the rifle checked for head spacing. That could be a safety issue and cause the bolt to bind up. HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered the same from what I can tell from research, so long as the bore on the Mauser is .323 it should be capable of firing non-WWII ammunition. I also read a lot of people were not able to chamber this ammunition.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
You should be able to use any 8mm Mauser or more accurately 7.92x57 JS. It doesn't need to be "military"!

This is just commercial ammo. If it works use it. I had a 8mm mauser and shot whatever i could buy out of it. Never saw that specific ammo but if I did I'd have tried it too

How often do you shoot this caliber? If you aren't doing thousands of rounds then just buy some a few hundred rounds of PPU and be done
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok sweet thanks for the advice guys. Two other questions. Should I buy a gauge to check headspace, and how can I tell what model Turkish Mauser do I have.
Hi G- Spend time on this and other Turk Mauser sites to help Id your model. My guess is 1903-??. The World of Turk Mausers is fascinating - begin you education!

http://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx

·
Silver Bullet member
2,827 Posts
Your Turkish mauser is the 1893 model, originally made in Germany, and chambered then in 7.65x53.

It was rebarreled to 8mm mauser in 1935, as shown on the receiver.

The Romanian surplus ammo mostly used a red sealer on the bullet and primer, and no one complained about it being out of spec.

The new Romanian junk with the green sealer has has lots of complaints.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Yes I was referring too the good Romanian surplus. If you are going to keep collecting 8mm Mausers I would buy the gauge otherwise have a gunsmith check it. HTH

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
$80 just to check headspace???. Buy the go and the no-go guages and do it yourself. May be a bit old fashioned and out of touch with gunsmithing prices but give me a break. And yes I have my own headspace guages for '06, 308 and a couple others. Frank

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
That Romanian 8mm ammo sportsmans guide is selling is out of spec!! DO NOT BUY IT!!! I bought 100 rounds of that crap and only a couple would chamber in one of my 8mm mauser rifles. I posted a review on their website saying it was out of spec. Some people on other boards had mentioned an issue with the projectile being out of spec. Out of five rounds I tried to chamber, maybe two did, the rest the bolt would not close. The ammo I am talking about is 2013 production Romanian it has a green sealant on it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Turk Mauser rifle......Turf Mauser ammo. You can buy it off Gun Broker, but check the shipping requirements BEFORE you purchase. Make sure the head stamp is '50 or higher. You can find it at gun shows. Most often it comes in greenish, 7 pocket, cloth bandoliers 10rds per. This is good ammo, though corrosive, but so what, it's a bolt action. Easy to clean. You should clean your gun after every use. Bando's usually cost $20. I wouldn't pay more.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Turk Mauser rifle......Turf Mauser ammo. You can buy it off Gun Broker, but check the shipping requirements BEFORE you purchase. Make sure the head stamp is '50 or higher. You can find it at gun shows. Most often it comes in greenish, 7 pocket, cloth bandoliers 10rds per. This is good ammo, though corrosive, but so what, it's a bolt action. Easy to clean. You should clean your gun after every use. Bando's usually cost $20. I wouldn't pay more.
It shouldn't matter who's ammo it is.

And if you have a Czech mauser? Good luck finding Czech ammo!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
PPU Priv Partizan is good ammo, very affordable, and great brass to then reload. I buy it to shoot out of the rifles I do not want to shoot corrosive out of. I then use it to reload for cartridges I cannot buy ammo for.

Buy the headspace gauges and check the headspace yourself. Read how to, and follow the instructions. It isn't rocket science but it does take a few brain cells and a little thought. Any questions, feel free to ask. I have checked headspace once or twice.

"Make sure the head stamp is '50 or higher." Gimmie More Guns, why is that? I have worked through a few of several cases of Turk, mostly 1930's and 1940's dated ammo. Never had any issues with it? We used to use it to split wood. Hell of a lot more fun than swinging an axe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That Romanian 8mm ammo sportsmans guide is selling is out of spec!! DO NOT BUY IT!!! I bought 100 rounds of that crap and only a couple would chamber in one of my 8mm mauser rifles. I posted a review on their website saying it was out of spec. Some people on other boards had mentioned an issue with the projectile being out of spec. Out of five rounds I tried to chamber, maybe two did, the rest the bolt would not close. The ammo I am talking about is 2013 production Romanian it has a green sealant on it.
I wouldn't say not to buy it, but definitely only buy one box until you find out for sure if it fits in your rifle. If it does fit, it is certainly the cheapest out there.

Lots of folks have reported these are oversized, and had problems clambering them, I know a guy who bought a couple cases to run in his MG34 and they wouldn't chamber, same stuff ran fine in a MG42. The reviews on the various sites reflect this. Some people have problems, some don't.

The new manufacture Romanian (rather than surplus) appears to be the same specs as the Romanian Surplus when it was available (except for size issue). It is sold through a few channels, the "Hot Shot" (Hot Shot is a Century brand I believe), it is also available from Midway as "PW Arms" and from the arseholes at Sportsmans Guide unbranded.

Remember about 8mm Mauser ammo is that there are two different specs for it. When the 8X57 was introduced, it had a 0.318 bore, and was later changed to .323, and because of this, most of the ammo you can get in the US is crap.

US manufacturers were afraid some dimwit would try and shoot a full power .323 through their .318 bore Gewehr 88 and blow up the gun, and hurt themselves. Europeans figured if you don't know what ammo your gun can safely shoot, you are a moron and deserve whatever happens to you.

Regardless, there are two specifications for what we call 8mm Mauser, the US SAMMI spec "8MM Mauser", which has a max pressure of 35K psi, and the European CIP "8x57 IS" which has a max pressure of ~56K psi. To further muddy the waters, "8x57 IS" is often written as "8x57 JS, evidently because the Germans used a Gothic script, and the I looked like a J.

Generally, what you can get in the US is "8MM Mauser", and it the anemic SAMMI spec.

Privi Partisan actually makes both, if you look at their online catalog, they have entries for both "8MM Mauser" and "8x57 IS", with the latter having a higher velocity for the same bullet. For example, the "8x57" IS 198 gr FMJ is 2425 FPS, (essentially the 1934+ military load), but the "8MM Mauser" 198 gr FMJ is only 2180 FPS. Naturally, they only sell the wimpy stuff in the US.

Wolf Gold is a decent hunting bullet made by Privi and loaded to 8x57 IS specs, 196 gr SP @ 2461 fps, but I haven't seen it around in a while.

Remington's and Winchester's only offerings is 170 gr @ 2360fps. Federal's only option is even wimpier 170gr @ 2250 FPS.

Hornady and Nosler seem to be the only US folks making "real" 8x57 ammo, Hornady has two options, a 195 hunting bullet and a 196 gr match, both @ 2500 FPS, which is pretty close to the original military load.

Nosler has a 200gr AccuBond or Partition at 2475 fps, and a 180gr Ballistic tip at 2600 FPS, but they are really proud of them, at about $2.50 per round.

Seller & Belot and Norma both make a few 196 loads at ~2600 FPS, but availability is spotty, and while the price on the S&B is decent, the Norma stuff is up in the $2.50/round neighborhood.

I don't think I would bother with headspace, especially since you have already shot it. The headspace would have to be really bad to hurt anything other than the brass, and the gas handling of a Mauser 98 action is pretty good. If you do decide to order the gauges, all you really need is the "FIELD", if the bolt closes on that, then the headspace is excessive. You don't need the GO, it passed that when you fired it. Alternatively, you can just buy the NOGO and if it fails figure out how much it fails by using calibrated shims. ;)

NOGO: 1.8803"
Field: 1.8843"

A "shim" is a hair over .002" thick, so a NOGO gauge with 2 "shims" is pretty close to a field gauge.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.