Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
45 auto, you may find the 150 gr bullets too short for proper functioning. I have used 170gr rn bullets before, but single loading them. If OAL is too short, the cartridge lifter tends to launch the next loaded round clear out of the action. They need to be long enough so that the nose of the bullet catches the top of the receiver to prevent this. You may find the cast bullet you mentioned may have the same problem, as well as it may cast too small. For cast, you should slug the bore, measure, and look for a bullet about .001-002 over groove diameter. I use a "special order" Lee mould available from Mid South that weighs 225 gr and casts at about.325-.326. There is also a Lee mould intended for the Steyr straight pulls that is 205gr and .329 diameter, if you need to go that big.

Edit: Most all my cast bullet loading is light loads, probably 12-1300fps. 11-12 gr Trailboss. Use them on steel out to 100 yards or so. For more range, you could try 16-17 gr 2400. For more cast ifo, go over on Castboolits website and search for the C.E. Harris article on cast loads for milsurp calibers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.