Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUN HO
Posted - 07/19/2004 : 8:49:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picked up a 8mm carbine cav. w folding bayo.Is this gun hard to find?This is the first i have seen.Anyone know some history on this type of gun? Thanks for any help.GUN HO

Atlpete
Posted - 07/20/2004 : 08:38:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know the production numbers but based on how often I've seen them listed or at shows they appear to be not nearly as plentiful as the TS version. The only one I have actually inspected(last year at "mauser man's" table at Eastman show in Norcross) had a virtually blank receiever and barrel root, like-new metal and the sight mis-stamped "9.7" for $150.

EDINOH
Posted - 07/21/2004 : 09:29:20 AM
I made about eight trips to Springfield Sporters before they closed. They always had 6 to 10 TS 8mm versions out on every trip there. Only once did they have 2 cav. models. I got the better of the 2, wish I had gotten the other. I have not seen a cav. 8mm at any shows. Never saw a short rifle (fucile corto) in 8mm, but supposedly there are some out there. Saw a comment on one of the boards a couple years ago regarding this. EDINOH.

Ronin48
Posted - 07/21/2004 : 3:43:28 PM
Hobbs, "The Carcano" notes Terni made 10K T. S., Brescia 5K T.S. and 5K cavalry carbines. (P. 28)

GUN HO
Posted - 07/21/2004 : 4:16:25 PM
Originally posted by Eloldehombre1
Hobbs, "The Carcano" notes Terni made 10K T. S., Brescia 5K T.S. and 5K cavalry carbines. (P. 28)
5 thousand,thats not to many.Thanks GUN HO

rek41
Posted - 08/24/2004 : 9:51:52 PM
5000 production? WOW! I am much happier I bought one over the weekend. I am hoping to see it by the first of next week. From the pics I saw it isn't bad at all. I did read somewhere the 8mm Carbines were used on the Russian front by the Axis Powers.

GUN HO
Posted - 08/26/2004 : 1:06:32 PM
Check this out,I tried to load a clip in mine it would not go,looks like stock is from 6.5 maybe? wood needs to be trimed to clear bullets.Barrel is marked 6.5 italy, 7.9 on the rear sight.No extra reinforcing bolt.GUN HO

Carcano
Posted - 08/26/2004 : 2:06:15 PM
The 8mm cavalry carbines were most likely slapped together from parts after the war. Interesting addition to a collection though.

Carcano
Posted - 08/29/2004 : 06:58:17 AM
The half-stocked variant with the hinged triangular folding bayonet is the cavalry carbine, the fully stocked the TS carbine.

I would be grateful for photographs and for the full markings (caliber indication as 7.9 or 7,92 ?) including full serial numbers.

1886lebel
Posted - 08/29/2004 : 4:58:14 PM

Alexander,
I have submitted 3 times the information on the three M38 S's that I have to the Carcano website and nothing. I was trying to help you all out with information. Could you look into it
Patrick

Alexander here:

I am very ashamed, and wish to apologize to you, Patrick. Am reachable again now, after a longer absence. Your contributions have been very helpful indeed, and I am grateful to you!

Sorry, Alexander ("Carcano")

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
slefelar
Posted - 02/02/2006 : 11:52:00 AM

I recently picked up a Cav. Carbine in 8mm. The conversion was not done terribly well, as the chamber was so rough it would not chamber initially. I used a dremel to smooth it out so it will chamber and fire. I shot about 30 rounds of various suplus 8mm though it from a rest (pulling the trigger with a string) and it did not blow up. Fired cases show some "roughness" from the chamber, but have no splits or pressure signs.

Gun shot about 8" high at 25 yards (!!!) so a new front sight is a necessity. At least the gun seemed to "group" at that distance. This might be a good canditate for low power "red dot" loads, as I am leary to put this thing to my face and pull the trigger.

Here are a couple of pics

Edited by - slefelar on 02/10/2006 10:58:22 AM

slefelar
Posted - 07/23/2006 : 9:22:54 PM
I was shooting my M38 Cav. Carbine when the bayonet button assembly let go and scattered to the wind. I found the "button" and spring, but lost the stud that screws into the button. Anyone have any ideas for a source for parts? I have tried Numrich and the usual suspects.

keithreid
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 7:46:49 PM
hey guys, i picked up a cavalry carbine at a show today that kinda suprised me. i didn't know they were made in 8mm.
this one's in a cavalry carbine stock with added recoil lug in the wrist. fixed rear sight with 7.9 stamped on it. the only other mark on the rifle is the s/n stamped on the barrel shank. no markings to tell where it was made. the bolt has a turned down handle and the letters R and S stamped on top of the handle at the base.
bayonet has the push button type release. the springfield sporters "do not fire" tag is still hanging on the front band.

were many of these made in 8mm? i figure for 75 bucks it was a pretty good deal, but i cringe at the thought of the recoil! y'all have a good day, Keith

Keith A. Reid

slefelar
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 9:50:14 PM
Look familiar?

I have shot mine and it is more accurate than I would have thought. I had to replace the front sight blade with a much taller model to get in on the paper, however.

keithreid
Posted - 05/21/2006 : 12:22:25 AM
yep, that's it allright! the s/n on this one is in the 9700 range.
Keith A. Reid

airdale
Posted - 05/21/2006 : 08:37:12 AM
Keith the Carcano book says about 5,000 8MM Cav carbines were made by FNA Brescia but I don't think anyone knows for sure the exact number. The who,what,when and why of the 8MM TS and Cav carbines is still in discussion today.

Many of these 8MM Carcanos has excessive headspace and may be the reason yours has a do not fire tag. I fire mine only with light handloads. The rifles I have with headspace issues I fireform the brass first with 10grs of bullseye powder with the rest of the case filled with cream of wheat or grits and capped with a wad of bread. After fireforming I then just necksize the case for reloading.

You done good for $75 for an 8MM cav carbine.

keithreid
Posted - 05/21/2006 : 11:14:31 AM
the springfield sporters tag is like the one we see from century. it says " do not fire until checked by a gunsmith, headspace on this firearms has not been checked." it's the legal stuff they're still using to keep from being sued. it also has the metal tag on the triggerguard with the SS inventory number.
there was an 8mm m38 on the table beside it for 65 bucks in the same condition, but i passed on it because pop already has one and i decline to shoot it. it's fairly amusing to watch my cousin shooting it though. he takes about 2 steps back and claims the recoil ain't so bad.
y'all have a good day,
Keith A. Reid

slefelar
Posted - 06/07/2006 : 9:38:04 PM
I have shot mine with Yugo surplus (after using a string and a rest for many shots). With a tall front sight, it actually shoots very well (about 4" groups at 100 yards). Recoil is better than some 8mm I have shot.

Douglas I. Kerley
Posted - 06/12/2006 : 10:42:34 AM
HI; Does your 8mm Cav. Carbine have a name on the underside of the rear of the reciever? I have several who do. Doug

GaCop
Posted - 09/03/2006 : 2:15:59 PM
I've shot mine with light handloads, performed pretty well at 100 yards.

EDINOH
Posted - 09/03/2006 : 6:56:06 PM
I have a cav. and TS in 8mm. Both of them did not close on a field gauge. I use only mid range handloads, the same as I use in my Comission 88 and Turk 93; 40 gr. of IMR4895 with a 170 gr. projectile. Shooting milsurp is going to give a much bigger kick. And, as for using milsurp ammo, safety concerns have been raised in the past, on this and other boards, as some metal has been removed from the bolthead and the forward part of the receiver due to the larger diameter of the 8mm case. EDINOH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts