Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a quanity of 8mm ammo, and was wondereing if it is corrosive primed. The first headstamp is FNM 70-25. It's berden primed. I think it is Portugese. The other is headstamped 7.92 MM 44. These are boxer primed and I was told they were canadian produced. Are these both corrosive and why did canada produce 8mm if in fact it is canadian?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,829 Posts
Both your FNM 70-25 and 7.92 MM 44 will be non-corrosive. The FNM is Portuguese and some of the best 8MM around. The Canadian 7.92 MM 44, I have heard has some issues being reloaded. Something about primers not wanting to fit well.
I've fired some of the FNM and it's what I use to test a new 8MM when I get one so I don't have to clean it right away.
There are a lot of rumors about the Canadian. Some say it was made for clandestine operations well after WWII but was headstamped like it is.

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
I have reloaded a lot of Canadian 41 and 44, and after removing the crimp I have not really noticed any major problems priming the cases.

This may be because I prime the cases using the primer post in my OLD Lyman All American turret press, instead of with a hand primer tool.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i have to wonder if we are thinking a bit too deeply about canadian 8x57mm. British (and Commonwealth) tanks used the BESA Machine Gun which was a liscensed copy of the Czech ZB.37. Unlike the Bren which was a 8x57mm ZB.30 modified to fire .303 British, the BESA retained its original 8x57 chambering.

At the beginning of the war, the british decided not to waste time converting the ZB.37 to .303, and figured that since the tank corps didnt use .303 Lee-Enfields or Bren Guns, ammo confusion wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
i have to wonder if we are thinking a bit too deeply about canadian 8x57mm. British (and Commonwealth) tanks used the BESA Machine Gun which was a liscensed copy of the Czech ZB.37.
Think again, the Canadian 8mm is not for Commonwealth 7.92 BESA guns. It has a lighter 154gr bullet and would follow a different trajectory than the heavier Tracer, AP, and Incendiary mixed in belts for tank MGs. If made for BESA guns it would be made to existing British specs.

Also: Canadians used Sherman tanks equipped with Browning .30cal MGs.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
I just looked to see what I still have. 3 Ammo cans 196g 200 rounds Yugo. One can of 300 rounds Yugo. Romanian open can I think its 196g corrosive 8 boxs. I reload but have only 150sp 300rds. I will Leave it for k98.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is generally agreed that both the Canadian 7.92mm and 9mm "sanitised" rounds were made for US clandestine use ten years after the headstamp date. Comparison of the 9mm ammunition (headstamped "9MM 43" etc) with regular production indicates they are contemporary.

Regards
TonyE

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have to update my earlier reply about the primer pockets on 7.92 MM marked Canadian 8mm. I don't think the primer pockets were that tight in these after the crimp was removed. IIRC it was Greek HXP 303 that was a little tight, But I was using a Lee hand Autoprime and you can feel any difference in required seating pressure. Have to watch this though. It is better to have them a little tight than loose enough to cause a leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.