Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were a bunch of people selling these at the last Gun Show I went to. No paperwork required, cash & carry. Apparently legal to sell them, but is it actually legal to finish the machine work (supposedly some drilling required) to make a functional lower receiver? I don't know how much they were, but presumably less than $100.

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
They are 100% legal to sell and 100% legal for someone to finish into a working semi auto. There are companies that even make he drilling jigs and other jigs to finish them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I agree with stony....I don't think that these will last long.
I realize that one can legally make these into a 100% functioning receiver as long as all the ATF guidleines are followed.
I was set up at as how recently. There was more than one vendor selling 80% receivers along with jigs but no instructions. I asked about the technical data and was told that they couldn't offer it but had a link on thier web site for specs and drill and mill sizes.
I know that both vendors did very well in sales...one of the guys set up next to me bought a jig and receiver...."you know...just in case...."
Although legal....I'm steering clear.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have three of the 80% receivers from two different manufacturers. I already have 3 AR,s built so not in a hurry to build another from the 80%. I also bought one drilling jig. I also got the bits and end mills with one of the receivers . Finishing instructions came with the receivers or can find many videos on You Tube.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with stony....I don't think that these will last long.
I realize that one can legally make these into a 100% functioning receiver as long as all the ATF guidleines are followed.
I was set up at as how recently. There was more than one vendor selling 80% receivers along with jigs but no instructions. I asked about the technical data and was told that they couldn't offer it but had a link on thier web site for specs and drill and mill sizes.
I know that both vendors did very well in sales...one of the guys set up next to me bought a jig and receiver...."you know...just in case...."
Although legal....I'm steering clear.
I kinda have to disagree with this. ATF's jurisdiction is firearms, not hunks of metal. If they want to tread down this path they will eventually have to regulate every machine shop, auto shop and tool store and personal garage and work shed in the country since making a rifle really own requires brains and tools.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
the raids by the ATF were because an employee was finishing the 80%'ers for customers without the proper checks/paperwork...no conspiracy.

80% receivers are perfectly legal to buy/sell...but then again, 7N6 used to be just "ball" ammo...and PPSH-41 trunions weren't considered "machine guns".

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Entirely legal, for now. If you want the pleasure of building something, or doing it because you can, go for it. If you goal is to save money though, its not worth it, when blemished lowers can be had for $40-50 these days.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I couldn't believe that sales of 80% guns had lasted the first year (back in 2000), and it can only be true because ATF does not have the money/manpower to mess with it (yet). I'd not give up my name and addy to get one, believe it. Gunshow anonymity, man.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,977 Posts
I would agree it applies more the doing it just because you can crowd more than anything, if you really a "just in case" lower go to a gunshow and buy one off an individual, the BATF wouldn't know you have it anymore than they would know you own a 80%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently got two 80’s and the machining jig to base custom 5.56 builds on.
Mainly because the second one will be something you cant just buy anywhere …. I just like to build stuff.
May as well build a rifle … I build my own cars

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Easy to complete with a jig. Drill selector, trigger, and hammer holes. Then mill out fire pocket. You should get a diagram of depths and measurements. A bench top drill press is what I have used. Do not ever sell this lower once it is complete. T g at is the law.

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
The polymer lowers have not been finished as there were never holes for selector, trigger, and hammer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So, are the 80% polymer lowers Ares was selling un-obtainium? I kinda want one now, polymer lowers work great with .22 uppers.
Yes they are still available. They send me emails from ARES everyday. I actually ordered one yesterday evening from them. They were on sale for $69. I have other 80% lowers made of aluminum and decided to try a polymer one.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Easy to complete with a jig. Drill selector, trigger, and hammer holes. Then mill out fire pocket. You should get a diagram of depths and measurements. A bench top drill press is what I have used. Do not ever sell this lower once it is complete. T g at is the law.
You can sell it, it just has to be marked in certain ways, and SN I believe

·
Registered
26 Posts
these are the ones the BATFE were pissy about? the ones they claim were 100% finished receivers that were "filled in" to 80% status...no jig necessary???
As I understand it, the ATF didn't like the ones that had two different colors of polymer. Basically, you'd remove the one color and what was left was a finished lower. The ATF asserted that the "receiver" color was produced first, "then filled in" with the second color. Ares says that the plug (the inner color) was produced first, then built up into the 80% blank.
If the ATF is correct, the receiver is illegal. If Ares can prove the process, then maybe not.
For now, though, Ares is selling polymer 80% blanks again, but they are now a single "solid" color.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polymer lowers (it's a prejudice--nothing based on personal experience), but their polymer lower that comes with its own 1-use jig is really, really tempting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.