Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1942 8mm Carcano ts38 single shot. I test fired it at the range and it shot well and accurate with commercial 8mm but failed to shoot surplus 8mm from FN(1955). All in all a nice little (very little!) carbine that was more accurate than I expected. The sites are fixed at 200m and I had nice groups at 100m. Bolt operated smoother than expected and this little carcano handed the 8mm with no problems, no big recoils or such. I expect the surplas FN military 8mm needs a harder strike than this carcano's firing pin could deliver.

After action check and cleaning found this 8mm single shot carcano to be unfazed and ready to go again.

Don't be afraid for these odd Carcanos just be safe and give one a try if you come across one in your travels.

Ed Moore

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Ed. I also have one of these 8x57mm carbines. Mine was kind of shop worn when I got it, so I took it all apart and reblued it and refinished the stock. Mechanically it is good and the bore is good. Being cautious by nature I loaded up some rounds to about .30-30 Win. pressure levels and was amazed at how accurately it proved to be, and not too bad on recoil either. These are interesting little rifles and I believe that most of them have passed through Israeli hands. I've heard and read two different stories on how they came to be, (1) they were converted so the Italian Army in N. Africa could share ammo supplied by the German Army, and (2) that following Italy's surrender they were converted for use by the Italian Fascist troops that continued to fight with the Germans. It's possible that both stories are true, but since mine was made in 1944, the N. Africa Campaign was already history. Also possible that the Israelis converted some of them. Whatever the case for their origin, the Mannlicher-type clips for 8mm are almost non-existent. I have read that one can modify the standard Carcano clips for use with 8mm by doing some body and fender work on the width of the clip, but have never tried it, so at present my specimen is also a single shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great DG! I was surprised on how accurate this little guy was too and with fixed sights.
Would be nice to find a clip though I know they most likely do not exist. I tried to make one but my
skills were not up to it and the clip just ended up a mess. Oh well..stay well Der Gebirgsjager!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are pictures of the little beast...I took it out again this week and put 20 shots or so through it at 100 yards sitting and standing. Neat little gun and I don't think the Italians had any idea of the potential of this rifle at 8mm caliber. Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Pink Magenta Circle Pattern Sport venue

·
Administrator
9,589 Posts
Dear DGJG...all the stories are Hogwash...The rifles were converted Post-WW II ( 1947-1950s) in Italy for sale to Egypt and Syria as Training rifles, as Single shots...some were used by Secondary troops (AA Batteries) during the 1956 Suez War. ( many will have Arabic rack numbers on the Butts)

During WW II, Heinrich Krieghoff & Co. did convert a small number ( between 10 and 15,000) at a Location in Southern Austria on behalf of the Local SS-Police etc. ( late 1944-45).These conversions were slightly different from the Post war guns, and were initially to be "clip" fed...,but the modified Clip defied manufacture, and the HK guns were single shot as well. True HK conversions are Rare as....

As to the Clip, We have completed our Tooling for the Normal M91 (6,5 & 7,35) Clip, and will commence Production soon...we are then going to go (Via the German M88 Clip) to making a "7,9" Carcano clip. ( ie, One that works 110% of the time.,)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Technical Services.

BTW, the Italians did have an idea of the Potential of the "8mm"... They did try out, both Bolt and Semi-Auto, an 8x59RB Breda ( Medium MG cartridge) Version in about 1943-44 (prototype only) but the Pace of the war (1943 Armistice) overcame this program.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great! When you go into production on the 8mm clips let us know. I'll definitely be up for a few.
As for the origin stories--gee, you took all the romance out of it! What I do clearly remember though, is that after I got and reworked my specimen and was so impressed with the accuracy, I started combing the internet and found a dealer who was selling them in poor condition. I can no longer remember who the dealer was, but the sales pitch went like: "Got a few more of these in from Israel in poor condition. Selling 3 for $125. Maybe you can use the parts to make one that works." So maybe they were captured? Don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.