Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 100+ year old target rifle manufactured in France. I hope to receive it Saturday. It’s not guaranteed, but should be 8.15x46R. I know nothing about this cartridge and would like start learning as much as I can about it. Any first hand experience with it as well as links about it on the internet will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Measure barrel twist, then measure bore diameter. Powders used were IMR 4759 now discontinued, IMR 4227 and some shooters are shooting 300mp if i got the name right. A trip to the ASSRA.com website and explain your problem and they will get you started. Bullets are cast out of a lead alloy somewhere 1x20 one part tin and 20 parts lead. But as usual bullet alloy differs between shooters my be using a 1x25 alloy. Loading can be done in two different ways. loading the ammo in the same way you would normally do and then there are some who prefer seating the bullet into the rifling. This is called breech seating. Process goes something like this. with the breech seating tool a cast bullet is seated in the rifling then the charged case is carefully put into the chamber. The reason for breech seating is that some shooters feel it is more accurate. I've only skimmed the surface regarding casting bulets,methods of loading, Please take a trip to the above forum as those members there do this stuff all the time. Brass can easily be made from 30-30 cases. May have to trim the rim of the cartridge on some rifles. Frank

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Measure barrel twist, then measure bore diameter. Powders used were IMR 4759 now discontinued, IMR 4227 and some shooters are shooting 300mp if i got the name right. A trip to the ASSRA.com website and explain your problem and they will get you started. Bullets are cast out of a lead alloy somewhere 1x20 one part tin and 20 parts lead. But as usual bullet alloy differs between shooters my be using a 1x25 alloy. Loading can be done in two different ways. loading the ammo in the same way you would normally do and then there are some who prefer seating the bullet into the rifling. This is called breech seating. Process goes something like this. with the breech seating tool a cast bullet is seated in the rifling then the charged case is carefully put into the chamber. The reason for breech seating is that some shooters feel it is more accurate. I've only skimmed the surface regarding casting bulets,methods of loading, Please take a trip to the above forum as those members there do this stuff all the time. Brass can easily be made from 30-30 cases. May have to trim the rim of the cartridge on some rifles. Frank
Thanks Frank. I have registered at the ASSRA forum and am waiting to be accepted so I may ask questions there. I have found cases available so I won’t have to modify a different case to work.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,835 Posts
Thanks Frank. I have registered at the ASSRA forum and am waiting to be accepted so I may ask questions there. I have found cases available so I won’t have to modify a different case to work.
I have loaded 8,15x46R using both Remington and Winchester brass (Winchester was somewhat thinner) had to turn the rims down
in my lathe to fit the chamber. I did not use breech seating but have used it in 32-40 in my Hi Wall. Photo shows factory box

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.