Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd throw it out here.

I just got a nice M.1902 (or M.1897) Remington Rolling block in 7mm Mauser (7mm is stamped on the barrel ahead of the chamber) with the Oct. 1901 Patent date.

From what I've seen, it's probably a South America contract (Mexico or Uruguay--I can't see any markings to indicate where it went), but I found that I have a Remington short-blade bayonet to go with it that I bought a few years back. I checked the headspace, which is fine, and it loads and extracts dummy FN 7mm milsurp. with no problems--tight lockup, energetic ejection, etc.

What I'd mainly like to know, is if I can (or is adviseable to) shoot normal 7mm Mauser rounds (either US commercial, or FN milsurp.) out of it, or not. I've heard different things on what to shoot in it--older round-nosed low power rounds, or milsurp 7mm. It was made after my my Chilean M.1895 or Spanish M.1893, which handle the milsurp. stuff great. I probably wouldn't shoot it much--just every now and then, just to keep things interesting.

Anyone else shoot one of these?

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
The 7MM Rolling Block is a smokeless powder action, so it should be fine with loads in the 40,000 CUP range, which is what factory 7MM Mauser loads should be. I wouldn't try any hot loads, you probably won't hurt the RB action which is very strong (considering the time period of its design). Hot loads could cause some case stretching.

regards
badger

·
Registered
375 Posts
Although that RB was made for smokeless rounds the gas handling capability of the RB action in case of cartridge failure is not very good. There have been (rare) cases in which a primer failed and the gas pushed back the hammer far enough to release the block. That is a bad thing. Shoot low velocity lead bullets and you can have a lot of fun and get some great accuracy. BTW, 7mm RB's are famous for having generous chambers. You can fit a .30 caliber bullet in the case neck after firing. Not a big problem but hard on brass because of all the resizing required. Due to a reloading error I had a friend blow up a 7mm RB a few years ago. Here are some pics that I've posted here before. This is not due to a weak action, but a problem with the cartridge.

Vern

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Remington Rolling Blocks in 7mm are well knocked around on various Rolling Block and BPCR Forums. They chamber and fire 7X57mm just fine. Some say they are in 7mm Spanish which is sort of a way of saying they are the same but different. There will be so much stretching of the brass that reloads are limited to only a few. Some shooters will fireform brass to their rifle and neck size to insure the best accuracy. Great shooters. I load mine with soft cast (20-1) bullets and a mild powder load. Most people see it on the range and are surprised that there isn't a cloud of black powder smoke.

·
Copper Bullet member
449 Posts
These are neat rifles. I have a 7mm like yours and usually shoot US commercial loads or reloads to the same specs. Mine (did I say I have two) seem to like the heavier bullets, 175 gr. I also had another rebarrelled to .45-70 (did I say I like rolling blocks); that one is one sweet rifle also. I've put about 1000 rounds through it in over the years. Viva el Remington.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
7mm M1902 RRB

Take a close look at the barrel shank of your Rolling Block...if it has "DCP" within crossed flags, it is a 1914 acquisition by the Dominion of Canada, for various "Foraging" uses by Canadian troops from the more Frontier areas of Canada.(DCP==Dominion of Canada Proof, a Military acceptance test mark)

Most of these were released onto the Surplus market sometime in the 1970s, and are in almost NEW condition.

I have one, and with commercial and Modern (FN) Milsurp, it tends to overstretch the cases (Chambering is Pre-1920, and so will be a little longer than the Modern SAAMI specs.)

I use Fireformed cases made from .30/06 or 7,9mm, sized just to fit the chamber, and then fire-formed with a light ball load. I then anneal the cases, and load with a classic 175grain round nose soft point, and it works fine. Keep the loads within the Limits of the rifle, and both you and your rifle will be fine...and the cases will last many reloads as well.

Between 1902 and 1914, Remington made this rifle in 7x57 (Most common) but also in 30/40 Krag, possibnly .303 and 7,65x53, and finally, in 1914, in 8mm Lebel (special order for French Government, both rifle and carbine (I have a selection of M1902 receivers (rifle and saddle-ring carbine) out of Europe, which were originally 8mm Lebel; they were a fortuitous pick-up at a Milsurp dealer in Gardone VT (Brescia), the home of Italy's gunmaking trade. They will become a series(with interchangeable barrels, woodwork etc) of Movie Guns, probably in either 50/70 Blank or 45/70 Blank with barrels made from suitable diameter Hydraulic seamless tube, sights and other accessories from one of the Italian replica makers, our own stocks.

Good acquisition,
Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Doc AV
George Layman here. Say I am wondering if you could send a photo or two for reference of your Canadian DCP 7mm? I have access to two and would like to see how big the crossed flags on yours is. Both that i saw have some variance. Another one is said to have RCMP and I have heard that a handfull of such for the mounties was purchased from M Hartley in 1906 but cannot find verification in my old records. ppreciate your help on this Doc! If you wish to get me offline Im at Bendestet at Yahoo dot com..
!
Thanks again,
George

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd throw it out here.

I just got a nice M.1902 (or M.1897) Remington Rolling block in 7mm Mauser (7mm is stamped on the barrel ahead of the chamber) with the Oct. 1901 Patent date.

From what I've seen, it's probably a South America contract (Mexico or Uruguay--I can't see any markings to indicate where it went), but I found that I have a Remington short-blade bayonet to go with it that I bought a few years back. I checked the headspace, which is fine, and it loads and extracts dummy FN 7mm milsurp. with no problems--tight lockup, energetic ejection, etc.

What I'd mainly like to know, is if I can (or is adviseable to) shoot normal 7mm Mauser rounds (either US commercial, or FN milsurp.) out of it, or not. I've heard different things on what to shoot in it--older round-nosed low power rounds, or milsurp 7mm. It was made after my my Chilean M.1895 or Spanish M.1893, which handle the milsurp. stuff great. I probably wouldn't shoot it much--just every now and then, just to keep things interesting.

Anyone else shoot one of these?

I have shot mine using US ammo, as it is loaded relatively light.
No problems with extraction, which is a good sign, but the POI is way off the POA.
It most definately shot better with 175 gr, both group size & POI.
I don't think I would use European spec ammo, as it is usually hotter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts