Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys my Uncle was here to visit and he told me today that the next time he comes up hes going to give me his 7mm Mauser that his Great Grand Father brought back from WWI, My uncle was in the Marines himself, its pretty cool and awesome hed give me that because he has kids but I guess he knows ill appreciate it more, anyway he said he shot it a couple times but doesn't really know much about it, im not a patient person lol so I was just wondering if any of u would have a good guess as to what it might be ill post pics here when I finally do get it lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I mean idk if theres something a soldier would've been likely to pickup or what, germans were using 8mm even then right he said it pretty much looked like my k98 but it was 7mm lol and it was longer

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
...7mm Mauser ... brought back from WWI
Not very many belligerents used 7 mm Mausers in WWI. Only Serbia comes to mind. Spain and Latin America, the biggest users of 7 mm were neutral. Russia did use the 7 mm Mauser cartridge, but in their Mexican Arisakas, not in Mausers.

And to add some color to the topic, here is one of the earliest 7 mm cartridges and the rifle that used it:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Chances are if 7mm it is not a bringback. If a bringback it is not 7mm. Probably a 7mm import.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,533 Posts
Hi guys my Uncle was here to visit and he told me today that the next time he comes up hes going to give me his 7mm Mauser that his Great Grand Father brought back from WWI, My uncle was in the Marines himself, its pretty cool and awesome hed give me that because he has kids but I guess he knows ill appreciate it more, anyway he said he shot it a couple times but doesn't really know much about it, im not a patient person lol so I was just wondering if any of u would have a good guess as to what it might be ill post pics here when I finally do get it lol
Hi guys. My Uncle was here to visit and he told me today that the next time he comes up hes going to give me his 7mm Mauser that his Great Grand Father brought back from WWI. My uncle was in the Marines himself. Its pretty cool and awesome hed give me that because he has kids but I guess he knows ill appreciate it more. Anyway he said he shot it a couple times but doesn't really know much about it. Im not a patient person lol so I was just wondering if any of u would have a good guess as to what it might be. Ill post pics here when I finally do get it lol.

Seven periods added to change one sentence into seven and make the message readable.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess u don't know how to take a breath on the commas lol, im sure I could of used a few periods but this isn't English class and id hope we all have better things to do than grade papers on a forum lol. Its kind of one of those stupid things in the English language like to, two, too, theres no need for it because it explains itself in the context of what ur reading, and explaining it only matters when teaching it, in which case u never would of needed to in the first place if they hadn't made different variations of the same word lol.

·
15,533 Posts
I guess u don't know how to take a breath on the commas lol, im sure I could of used a few periods but this isn't English class and id hope we all have better things to do than grade papers on a forum lol. Its kind of one of those stupid things in the English language like to, two, too, theres no need for it because it explains itself in the context of what ur reading, and explaining it only matters when teaching it, in which case u never would of needed to in the first place if they hadn't made different variations of the same word lol.
No, it simply means that there will be a percentage of members who don't bother to try to figure out what you are attempting to say - and who will simply ignore you. You have been advised; disregard it at your peril.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
Perhaps and Austro-Hungarian M14? i.e. the Steyr commandeered M1912 Mexican, Chilean or Colombian contract Mausers??? All of these rifles were chambered for the 7x57mm Mauser and all of them are extremely accurate.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,339 Posts
It looks like a 1893 Mauser.German mfg from your paper,could be early German mfg for Spain.As mentioned in above posts only the Serbians used 7mm - Model 1899 in First world war.Hard to say how the story developed on it being a bring back but over 100 years any thing can happen.The German mfg 93s are more sought after than the Spanish ones.Post pictures of receiver markings when you are able.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sportsmans guide? huh lol will do it will proly be October before he brings it up hes said theres no other markings on it so idk if its made in berlin there wouldnt of been some for Germany also? or atleast some floating around, theres a chance the soldier could've just found it where ever and sent it back to I suppose right or someone was using a old school rifle, im very doubtful that the story is wrong

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
sportsmans guide? huh lol will do it will proly be October before he brings it up hes said theres no other markings on it so idk if its made in berlin there wouldnt of been some for Germany also? or atleast some floating around, theres a chance the soldier could've just found it where ever and sent it back to I suppose right or someone was using a old school rifle, im very doubtful that the story is wrong
That was a joke. Perhaps the war story got mixed up diwn through the years. Spanish american war? Boer war?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol that could be he seemed sure about wwi if theres no other markings than the German ones would that still be a acceptable thought for it to of been used by some other country? do the other markings he wrote down allude to it being used by anyone else?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts