Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making my rounds the other day I found a VERY nice fn49 in 7mm for 375$ but does not have a magazine. How hard would it be to find a magazine for this rifle and how much would I expect to pay for it if I found one? Is this a decent price to pay for this rifle even though it doesn't have a mag?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Finding a mag might be problematic. If the Venezuelan has it's flash hider, and is all matching I think even without it's mag that would be a good deal.

I'm not sure if a Egyptian 8mm mag would fit that rifle or not, but I think it might. Goose52 will probably chime in and answer that question for you.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Get that rifle if the bore is nice and no extensive missing parts, 7mm fn 49's are going for double and more that, a magazine surely won't cost that much to get, one could modify a different style mag, besides, I know 7mm was 7x57, and 8mm is anyway 8x57, same length, I would think a 8mm mag would be okay then, just my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found an all matching Venezualan FN-49 last May (2006) that was missing its muzzle brake, I think I gave $400 for it. Haven't been able to locate a replacement brake (original or repro) but to be honest I haven't been looking all that hard. I put a G-3 MB on it for the time being.

The comment on the previous post sounds about right, the 8mm magazine should fit (at least it would be the proper length), it might be a bit of a search but at that price the total of the rifle and a replacement magazine should be less than $500 (I'm guessing).

I would probably do it depending on the overall condition of the rifle.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
588 Posts
The exterior length of the 7 and 7.9 magazines are the same. The 7.9 mag box should snap into the 7mm (although you could have a minor fitting issue due to production tolerances). The interior length of the two magazines is different, with the 7.9 mag having the longer length so that works as well.

Original FN-produced 7.9 mag boxes are not generally available - however, Numrich/eGunParts occasionally has repro 7.9 boxes.

I would buy the rifle at that price and find the mag later ...

Goose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts