Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have never heard a spam can hiss when I opened it but then again my hearing is shot. Have fired thousands of rounds of assorted milsurp 7.62x54r removed from spam cans and don't remember ever having a round that didn't fire.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am not recommending anybody else do it but I will say I have fired ammo that was so incredibly corroded it would be tough to chamber. Regardless about half fired with no squibs, the other half had the primers go bad and just didn't do anything.
(I was looking for brass to reload)

Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
7,521 Posts

I've seen videos on YouTube where guys in Russia that search for fallen soldiers* pull sealed WWII spam cans out of swamps, open them up, pull a bullet and light the powder and it burns like the day it went in the case and the contents of the can is as dry as a bone!.

*it is quite amazing how many are identified and their relatives are traced.
Buried in a swamp, where the temperature remains relatively constant and ideal for storage. As long as the can remains watertight, of course.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I used to love buying spam cans but they seem to be a thing of the past here in the UK. Some European directive that means batches of ammo have to be tested before sale, then marked with whatever calibre they are. Also because of our laws the option of stockpiling many thousands of rounds isn’t an option. Bought this lot last week.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,263 Posts
It is the measured sodium nitrite percentage which allows for greatest longevity, and the contents can still be viable long after the Spam can is open.

But when it starts to smell sour, throw it out. The cat won't even eat it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used to love buying spam cans but they seem to be a thing of the past here in the UK. Some European directive that means batches of ammo have to be tested before sale, then marked with whatever calibre they are. Also because of our laws the option of stockpiling many thousands of rounds isn’t an option. Bought this lot last week.
I don't think i follow you. How anyone possibly know how many rounds you are buying???

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I know what that'll be run through! ;)

Incidentally that STV Czech ammo is actually repackaged Chinese milsurp......The STV Group, along with another Czech company, purchased millions of rounds of the stuff from Albania as the Albanians had to get rid of all their Combloc ammo etc as a condition of joining NATO.

It is pretty much the same ammo that Efraim Diveroli and David Packouz of AEY Inc got busted for.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't think i follow you. How anyone possibly know how many rounds you are buying???
Rob.....it is because in the UK, in a nutshell you can only hold a certain number of rounds that you have authority to hold on a Section 1 firearms certificate.

As an example if you have a 7.62x39 chambered rifle on your FAC and the authority to hold 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammunition that 1000 rounds can't be exceeded......if you are found in possession of more than 1000 rounds it is an offence under the Firearms Act, technically even if it is one round over.

When we buy ammunition from a gun shop the quantity that we purchase is entered on our Firearms Certificate along with the date and where it was purchased etc.

Handloads are not entered onto the FAC but any full rounds of handloaded ammunition count towards the total that you can hold, as do primed cases.

In theory you could stockpile thousands of rounds of ammunition but if you got caught you'd be screwed big time.....Probably literally screwed as it would be jail time and it isn't worth the risk.

Edit.....it is worth adding that shotguns are classified differently from rifles over here, they are classed as Section 2 firearms and you can purchase and hold as many shotgun cartridges as you can safely store with no real limit.....that said semi-auto and pump action shotguns over a certain mag capacity, which is 3 from memory, are classed as Section 1 shotguns and solid slug ammunition for them will have a hold limit the same as rifle ammunition.

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rob.....it is because in the UK, in a nutshell you can only hold a certain number of rounds that you have authority to hold on a Section 1 firearms certificate.

As an example if you have a 7.62x39 chambered rifle on your FAC and the authority to hold 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammunition that 1000 rounds can't be exceeded......if you are found in possession of more than 1000 rounds it is an offence under the Firearms Act, technically even if it is one round over.

When we buy ammunition from a gun shop the quantity that we purchase is entered on our Firearms Certificate along with the date and where it was purchased etc.

Handloads are not entered onto the FAC but any full rounds of handloaded ammunition count towards the total that you can hold, as do primed cases.

In theory you could stockpile thousands of rounds of ammunition but if you got caught you'd be screwed big time.....Probably literally screwed as it would be jail time and it isn't worth the risk.

Edit.....it is worth adding that shotguns are classified differently from rifles over here, they are classed as Section 2 firearms and you can purchase and hold as many shotgun cartridges as you can safely store with no real limit.....that said semi-auto and pump action shotguns over a certain mag capacity, which is 3 from memory, are classed as Section 1 shotguns and solid slug ammunition for them will have a hold limit the same as rifle ammunition.
Wow. Sorry man, I had no idea. I knew about gun restrictions but had no idea about ammo restrictions. Shoot, I hope this won't happen here...
Thank you for detailed explanation.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wow. Sorry man, I had no idea. I knew about gun restrictions but had no idea about ammo restrictions. Shoot, I hope this won't happen here...
Thank you for detailed explanation.
No problem Rob, and no need to apologise.

Please excuse me here as this isn't a criticism as I genuinely don't know but do the folks in the States that stockpile enough ammuntion to sustain a guerilla war do it because they imagine having to fight a guerilla war someday or is it because of financial reasons like buying as much as possible when it is cheap to beat price increases in future, as in "buy it cheap stack it deep, or as an investment to cash in on when prices are high?.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've bought when I had the money knowing that I would soon retire and then have time to shoot. It's just like the recent toilet paper shortage....someday you will need more.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Please excuse me here as this isn't a criticism as I genuinely don't know but do the folks in the States that stockpile enough ammuntion to sustain a guerilla war do it because they imagine having to fight a guerilla war someday or is it because of financial reasons like buying as much as possible when it is cheap to beat price increases in future, as in "buy it cheap stack it deep, or as an investment to cash in on when prices are high?.
Lol, i think it's mostly because of economy. Ammo price jumps or shortages are real thing here, so it's better to have enough in supply to wait out any crazy price swings and etc...But also, many of us has rifles in many different calibers. For my precision rifles I like to buy ammo in lots - the same lots, to ensure consistency...

·
Registered
102 Posts

I don't genrally stack it deep, but been in this long enough to know when surplus hits the market here it use to be cheap. I mean when I got in to mosins I was buying 440s of 54r fo $40-50 or less a can. Compare that to comercial which was running nearly .75 a round. I was litterly buying surplus ammo for cheaper then I could buy blemished bullets to reload. So I had a pretty good stash back then if nothing else for the intent to pull the bullets and reload. Some times deals pop up that are hard to pass by as well. I still have two tins of 1940s 54r on chargers that at the time the chargers in the can were worth 2-3 times as much as the can cost, and more importaintly I needed some good quality chargers. One of my freinds also has a pile of auction ammo. When you can pickup 2000 of factory brass case at .06/round and market is .25-50 it is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
About a year ago a good customer and friend of mine returned a can of ammo to me with the comment I think you better look and this. I was totally shocked when I looked into the can partially opened (heavy ball in a galvanized sealed can in 7.62x54r Bulgarian) and the ammo was floating in water which was foul and smelly! Never seen anything like that in all my years of shooting and using surplus ammo. Needless to say we replaced the bad can with and apology. I must have gotten one of those lake bottom cans?

I do note many cans I get these days do not hiss when opened but the ammo appears to be ok and shoots good too. We have got to be getting down to the bottom of the barrel in the current supplies so I guess the quality has to go down. Plus as pointed out it is getting older along with us! Bill
Six or seven years ago, several people reported this issue on various forums, like there was a bad batch of ammo from somewhere. It made me shake all of my cans when I received them. Fortunately, I never found one.

I've shot many thousands of rounds of surplus 7.62x54R of various vintage with only a couple of duds, no case head separation, and no corroded cases.

·
Registered
94 Posts

All of the above.

It’s got a pretty long shelf life and will pretty much always be worth at least what you paid for it (unlikely to be dramatically cheaper unless you buy during a panic/right before a massive lot of surplus is imported) so no real reason not to buy a lot if you can swing it, when it’s available and seems cheap. Too bulky for a really good systematic “investment” but sure is nice to know you’ve got a few thousand rounds (or a few hundred thousand rounds?) squirreled away for a rainy day if you need it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
All of the above.

It’s got a pretty long shelf life and will pretty much always be worth at least what you paid for it (unlikely to be dramatically cheaper unless you buy during a panic/right before a massive lot of surplus is imported) so no real reason not to buy a lot if you can swing it, when it’s available and seems cheap. Too bulky for a really good systematic “investment” but sure is nice to know you’ve got a few thousand rounds (or a few hundred thousand rounds?) squirreled away for a rainy day if you need it.
I see :thumbsup:

I thought I'd ask the question as the difference between your side of "the pond" and mine is like comparing night and day when it comes to firearms ownership.Those of us that own and shoot firearms in the UK are in a very small minority and the vast majority of Brits don't know that we walk amongst them!, the average Brit thinks that all guns are banned!!!.

As we are a small minority we generally have to pay higher prices for guns and ammunition etc etc compared to what you guys pay, as an example a pretty run-of-the-mill refurbed 91/30 over here averages at around $780 USD, a nice arsenal matching PU will set you back around $1500 USD at least or more for a really nice one......ammo-wise 1970's Chinese 54r milsurp works out at around $60 USD for 100 rounds at the moment and that is pretty much the only 54r milsurp we can get at the moment as Russian ammo has dried up and none has come in for quite some time now.......so even if you wanted to stockpile it'd cost a small fortune!.

It is worth adding that a box of 20 PPU 54r factory ammo is around $25 USD a box over here at the moment, how does that compare to what you guys pay for it?.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts