Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Mauser is a Controlled Feed, so the extractor holds the round on the bolt face, now you deal with the 1mm+ slop, the smaller rim
much of the feed problem for the x39 is that it is lifted, fed, the bounced OFF the bolt

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Mauser is a Controlled Feed, so the extractor holds the round on the bolt face, now you deal with the 1mm+ slop, the smaller rim
much of the feed problem for the x39 is that it is lifted, fed, the bounced OFF the bolt
Not so with the Carcano. The round is picked up nicely by the bolt. The smaller head of the Carcano round makes this conversion work well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the whole thing "seat of pants". I guess I could take some measurements. You can see the filler is cut to accommodate the lifter. It's made of "garrolite" which is a composite. Filed a feed ramp by eye. Hand filed the shape to fit the action. Took a lot if time to fit it, little by little.
Maybe you could lay it on its side and trace it on a sheet of paper and post that with a scale. I understand there would still be fitting to do, but would get me in the ballpark...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Maybe you could lay it on its side and trace it on a sheet of paper and post that with a scale. I understand there would still be fitting to do, but would get me in the ballpark...
I really don't want to take it apart. You should be able to get a good idea from the photos. After the initial shape, it's all "file and trial".

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
for a Mauser, one of the 'easy' solutions is to cut a deeper extractor groove into the bolt head, and solder in a reducing ring to hold the x39 case securely

21 - 25 of 25 Posts