Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
Everything I have read says that it is at least better than the Bulgarian stuff that Century had been selling before...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can't say how it performs presently. I've got a tin of it on order from them that I plan to run through a TT-33. Will report back after I receive it and shoot some. More than likely that will be well after Christmas though.:rolleyes: I doubt they get it to me before then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
UPS dropped off two packages for me yesterday. One was a couple of Persian mauser bayos that I am giving as gifts. I ordered them from Samco Nov 17. the other was a tin of this ammo from Century that I ordered last week. You may be suprised.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ordered two Tins from Century and they showed up last night, got two tins of 1955 made stuff. No crate, just tins in cardboard box.
Probably won't get to shooting any for awhile, still working on shooting up the junk Yugo/Czech and Bulgarian that I have on hand. last G-show a ammo guy had some 1955 headstamped Polish, looked like real clean stuff.

They actually shipped to WA, the last two times I've ordered ammo from them they wouldn't, maybe they finally changed policy... :)

·
Administrator
3,448 Posts
Ordered two Tins from Century and they showed up last night, got two tins of 1955 made stuff. No crate, just tins in cardboard box.
Probably won't get to shooting any for awhile, still working on shooting up the junk Yugo/Czech and Bulgarian that I have on hand. last G-show a ammo guy had some 1955 headstamped Polish, looked like real clean stuff.

They actually shipped to WA, the last two times I've ordered ammo from them they wouldn't, maybe they finally changed policy... :)
It would be nice if Century did away with their WA ammo ban. I ordered a tin this afternoon just to see if they cancel me out again or not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I never heard of this WA-ammo ban, although my Rep recently called to ask if I wanted my latest order shipped to my local FFL. I asked why and he said it that was a recent policy change they made a few months ago... I assumed it was nation-wide policy, but perhaps just WA?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Just wondering, if anybody has ever been able to get any of the legendary czech m-48 ammo and shot it? What are the headstamps on it? This has the steel core! Thanks

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Just wondering, if anybody has ever been able to get any of the legendary czech m-48 ammo and shot it? What are the headstamps on it? This has the steel core! Thanks
It has been around for as long as I can remember...here for a few years and then gone for a year or so. For sale right now at several places, here is one.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...ry-ammo-on-stripper-clips/manufacturers_id/12

The "ledgend" is mostly MYTH! Velocities of some commercial ammo surpass the Czech surplus and some of the other military stuff comes within a few fps of the Czech ammo.
Also only 'some' of that ammo has steel core bullets...much of it is Lead Core. The Czechs had only one loading...bullet type just varied with production. Soviet ammo is the same I belive....you will find lead core and Steel core ball.

·
Administrator
3,448 Posts
I never heard of this WA-ammo ban, although my Rep recently called to ask if I wanted my latest order shipped to my local FFL. I asked why and he said it that was a recent policy change they made a few months ago... I assumed it was nation-wide policy, but perhaps just WA?
So did they force you to use a dealer or did they send it directly to you? Do you live in WA?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks ammolab, you really know your stuff! Reason i was asking is this, in around 95 i ordered from Old Western Scrounger, some advertised m-48 ammo around 250 rounds, they came loose all were dated 52 or 53, but i dont remember the rest of the headstamps, vel. on 1 type avg. 1475 fps and 1450 on the other batch, but 1 did perform a lot better on my Kevlar tests! So i cut 1 of each apart and 1 type had steel core, the other lead, but i dont remember which had the steel core! I still have around 200 rounds mixed, in the bottem of my stash, through which at this time dont feel like going through.
A buddy of mine just got a CZ-52 and asked me about head-stamps on m-48 ammo, so i looked all over net and could not get any conclusive answers, some dont think it ever existed! I do plan on digging the ammo out in the summer, and then see what is steel core and what isnt!
With the new S&B i was avg almost 1700 fps, with chin. i was avg 1350 fps, lately i have been reading all over that any old czech ammo does seem to have trouble due to bad primers, even though i have never had any with mine! Thanks again, James

·
Registered
580 Posts
From what I've seen its WORSE that the Bulgarian. The only bad Bulgarian was '51 and '52, the rest is very nice ammo. All tins of the Polish I've ordered is 50% splits! Even '51 and '52 Bulgarian is not that bad!

Check this thread:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=83515

Everything I have read says that it is at least better than the Bulgarian stuff that Century had been selling before...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts