Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, $75 this weekend at a garage sale here in Prescott. Cut down DWM 1917 artillary with gold inlayed script. Can anyone read this for me? No magazine & the bore is nearly unrifled from shooting. Take down lever has been made from scratch, the rest of the pistol is all matching. Kind of neat. JH

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
9,525 Posts
That's criminal.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,084 Posts

·
Administrator
3,285 Posts
Its obviously a fantasy piece, or possibly a "remembrance" piece of having been stationed there or family there; as Persians were made later than that.

That said, I am sure you could sell it for $800-$900

I'd have bought it in a second no questions asked ;)

If you find out what it means, please post here; a friend of mine can read persian if i remember right and will send him your pictures.

Ed

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the info Ed. I did not mean to imply that this Lugar was part of the Persian contract. But if I had to guess, I'm sure it's been "there" though who knows how, when or why. JH

·
Administrator
3,285 Posts
Its possible, but the perisan guns were marked in farsi; all the letters and numbers were not in english or german.

Better possibility that the person had it engraved for himself, but you never know.

Ed

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Ed. The only reason I have to believe that it was in the Middle East at sometime or another is the "hand crafted" take down lever that is so reminesant of that area on gun repairs. Of course it could have be frabracated anywhere. PS: I just talked to the lady I bought the Lugar from (four houses down the block) and she remembers her brother bought it in France about 1950 or at least while he was visiting Europe. He was not in the military but was on vacation at the time. So I know more now than I did. Thanks, JH

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,438 Posts
You sure that script is Persian and not Arabic scribble? Not that i am likely to be able to tell one from the other without seeing two inscriptions side-by-side, with identifying data as to which is which in English or some other European language.

I presumed that the comment about this being criminal referred to the butchery of the gun. You just made a good buy.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,356 Posts
Yup, $75 this weekend at a garage sale here in Prescott. Cut down DWM 1917 artillary with gold inlayed script. Can anyone read this for me? No magazine & the bore is nearly unrifled from shooting. Take down lever has been made from scratch, the rest of the pistol is all matching. Kind of neat. JH
It's worth $75

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You should have haggled about the price because of the missing mag.
Congratulations!
;-) A

·
Copper Bullet member
9,525 Posts
Just an FYI, Farsi (Persian) and Arabic use essentially the same script.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an FYI, Farsi (Persian) and Arabic use essentially the same script.
Thanks Jonny C. I just had it translated by two ladies who work with the USSD. It is more Arabic than Persian as you said. The litteral translation is: "However The Power( or force)of Firing" Thanks to you all for your comments. JH

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
My guess would be Darra made, in Pakistan. All kinds of fantasy pieces come from there, and Afghanistan. They've been making Lugers for ever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts