Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time disassembling a 71/84. Can't seem to get the selector lever to push forward so I can remove the bolt. Don't want to force it and perhaps break it if the part is rusty underneath. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
71/84

Make sure cartridge elevator is in up (single shot) mode. If not, pull bolt to the rear to make it lift. With bolt back and elevator in the "up" position, selector should be free to move. Hope that helps. PS: this part is often broken for just this reason. JH

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cartridge elevator is in the down position. Won't come up when I pull the bolt back. If it's stuck, is there some way to get it up?

·
Gold Bullet member
509 Posts
71/84 lifter

This sometimes requires a feel for the rifle. If you pull the bolt to the rear
gently it will stop without causing the lifter to rise. Conversely, if you slam
the bolt to rear with all your might you will probably break something. I don't think a shot of penetrating oil into the pivot area and a little experimentation would hurt, but be gentle as it is 140 yrs. old.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
The Germans had problems with breaking the cutoff when the 71/84 was in service. The action may be gunked up and you may have to take the action out of the stock, clean it, apply penetrating oil and then try it...

·
Registered
175 Posts
First check to see that when you open the bolt and pull it to the rear whether it is coming back far enough for the bolt-stop washer to butt up against the milled area at the top rear of the receiver.

If it doesn't actually stop the bolt (contact the milled semi-circle), then your carrier is most likely stuck. Penetrating oil won't hurt, but it's probably gonna require disassembly so you can actually get to it.

If it does stop the bolt, then your gonna have to disassemble to find out what's broken. Without disassembling, you may be able to apply pressure with your finger against the rear of the carrier (kinda upward and back) and get the carrier to 'snap' upward.

Either way, you're most likely gonna have to disassemble your rifle. At the least remove the action from the stock. Then you'll have pretty much full access, and be better able to tell what's going on in there.

This site has good directions on how to get the old girl out of the stock:
http://www.militaryrifles.com/Germany/71-84disassembly/71-84disassembly.htm
Lots of pictures, so it takes a bit to load up.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sure wish there was a website like that for a Mod 71 Mauser.

·
Registered
234 Posts
84 mauser

I lifted the carrier by puting a screw drive at back inside and pushing up.you may have to giggle the lever while pulling on the bolt.the germans just could never make some thing simple.:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
IIRC there you'll have to move the bolt forward or backward a little while putting forward pressure on the selector. There is a "sweet spot" where the selector will move and its not with the bolt fully to the rear.

·
Registered
234 Posts
71/84

search 71/84 mauser and you will find a site that has pictures and instuctions for the gun.they take shots of each proceeding.:rolleyes: :eek: :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, took it apart, pushed elevator up from bottom, pushed selector lever forward, and got the bolt out. Now it's all reassembled, and I still don't know how the selector works. How do I go from single shot to tube-fed without taking the thing apart each time?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OK, took it apart, pushed elevator up from bottom, pushed selector lever forward, and got the bolt out. Now it's all reassembled, and I still don't know how the selector works. How do I go from single shot to tube-fed without taking the thing apart each time?
The selector operates with the bolt open. To switch to single shot retract the bolt, raising the shell carrier, then move the selector forward. To change back retract the bolt and move the selector to the rear. The carrier drops down when the bolt is closed. If the carrier won't pop up when the bolt is drawn back then something is broken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts