·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't reload yet. Where is the best place to buy 7.7 ammo? TIA

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yes, the Hornady 7.7mm Jap ammo is good stuff. I've had excellent results, somewhat better than the Norma (and a lot cheaper). I've not tried any of the PCI ammo yet but hope to.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm hoping to try some of the PCI next Sat., but it'll be through a 99 with a not-so-good bore, so not a very good test I'm guessing. I think others here have had reasonable results with it if I remember correctly..can't beat the price if you can find it in stock!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,876 Posts
Norma is the best by a wide margin in my experience. Of course different rifles like different ammo. Best to try several and see what a given rifle likes. I recenty got some from Precision Cartridges of ID., phone 219 942-2400. They had pulled silver tip light ball bullets from 7.62X54r ammo and applied a weird crimp, but the ammo shot pretty well. The asking price was $20 per box of 20 at a gun show. I got some 6.5 at the same time and saved a few bucks. Both were pretty good ammo. It looks like more choices are coming up in both cals, which is gonna help us all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the PCI ammo is slightly out of military spec with the pulled Russian bullets (they do use the new brass out of Europe, same stuff as the Hornady). I have shot both Hornady and PCI in my type 99 LMG. The Hornady works 100% like a charm. The gun loves to eat it.

The PCI stuff is more tricky. I think they use less powder than Hornady because I have had some short recoils and near runaways with the bolt not going back enough to catch the sear. The worst part about the PCI is that the cartridge is too long and binds in the LMG magazine...the bullet nose catches on the front of the magazine and wont feed low enough for the bolt to catch it. I called the owner at PCI and he took it back for free and reseated the bullets deeper into the brass. He even reloaded some empty brass for me at a cheap price. In any case I am sure it will work well in a rifle.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies gents.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I used to get my 7.7 from mrnambu,worked pretty good for me,graf brass,sp 150gr slugs. shot very good

·
Registered
46 Posts
local shop sells 7.7 Hornady, and 6.5(i forgot the manufacture. it wasn't Norma tho) for $18.99. can't beat that price really.

I'm the only one bought 7.7. So pretty much they stock them just for me.

6'5 several people shoots them i guess..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts