Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a seller with 1000 to 2000 rounds of 7.7mm Semi-rimmed ammo on strippers and some still in the box. It's Chinese 90's era stuff. He claims that you can shoot it in a rifle if you file off the rim. Anyone ever try doing this? Would it be good stuff to use for reloading components?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,369 Posts
Do you really want to sit around filing rims off? seems like way to much effort. I am pretty sure you can (you can shoot rimless in a type 92) if you want to go through the effort. It may be loaded hot though and while this probably won't do a thing to the rifle, it may be towards the unpleasant side. You could also sell it to a type 92 owner, and use the proceeds to get proper ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like a good price and maybe I can talk Odie into letting me shoot a few strips at the next Arizona meet. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Why not get a few and try it? You can always sell some or use it at the shootout like you said.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I took a 7.7 loading die and chucked it into my lathe. Then ground a tool to turn the rim down with. The cartriges wedge into the die just tight enough to hold if you don't get real agressive with the cutting tool. After cut down, a wooden dowel rod from the head end with just a slight tap was enough to pop the rounds back out of the die. You can cut them down pretty quickly this way. I am sure it is not OSHA aproved....but worked for me for a while...till my supply of the stuff ran out.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03Man, I think I will buy a sample to see how it goes.

Bill, any noticable increase in recoil or bulges in a fired case? I don't have a lathe but have a drill press that would probably do the job. Think it would work?

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
03Man, I think I will buy a sample to see how it goes.

Bill, any noticable increase in recoil or bulges in a fired case? I don't have a lathe but have a drill press that would probably do the job. Think it would work?
Been a while since we did this, like 12-15 years ago so going by week memory here....no noticeable heavier recoil in my guestimation. We at first tried just turning down rim, but found that the extractor did not have enough room to grab and jkeep a good hold, so we then modified the tool to cut the groove a bit deaper as we trimmed off the rim. That did the trick and they worked well after that....I don't remember the dimmensions, but probably just mic'd a standard casing, and cut the groove and rim to that dimension. But we did pull the load out of the first couple in order to try the cuts, and then cut one case down to make sure there was enough meat left in the case to survive. If I remember right, they also may have had a bit harder of a primer on the semi rimmed, and a week FP spring was sometimes a cause of misfires.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Found a seller with 1000 to 2000 rounds of 7.7mm Semi-rimmed ammo on strippers and some still in the box. It's Chinese 90's era stuff. He claims that you can shoot it in a rifle if you file off the rim.
Chris,

Is this ammo corrosive?

C/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts