Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
2,138 Posts
I started reloading in 1960 so I could shoot my Japanese rifles. I bought a Herters press for $13, a set of dies for $4.95, power measure and scales about that cheep, forgot exactly. Got bullets and power from a local source, powder $2.95 and bullets for $2.50. Cheap, yes it was but when you only make $85 a week and have a wife and child, thats much. Before 6.5 brass got plentiful, I formed my brass from 308 cases and 7.7 from 30-06. Brings back memories.

· Silver Bullet member
2,138 Posts
I just ran across the pictures and decided to post them. The first picture is of three cartridge cases - a 308, a 6.5x50 swadged and reformed case that has not been trimed and 6.5x50 Norma case. The second picture is the swadged die that reduced the base so it could be resized in a regular 6.5x50 full length sizing die.

Attachments

· Silver Bullet member
2,138 Posts
I have a set of dies Roy made. They work very well. The one problem I had was the case head was .004" to large to fully close the bolt. A drill press and emory paper at the case head solved that problem. Now when I shoot by Type 38 my cases don't swell. I have used .308 case and 7mm/08 cases. 260 Remington work the best. They are already 6.5mm.
In reality 260 Remington is 6.5/08. If they called it that it would have never sold.
Wish you had let me know. I always tried them before I sent them out. Could be I used a different brand of cases. I used Military Nato brass to try out the die on but that should have been harder brass than commercial. One remedy for what yours did is to take a peice of fine emery cloth over the pad of your index finger and twist the die back and forth to remove the slight ridge that is too sharp and pushing the brass instead of rolling over and reducing it. I also always run the 308 case through an 8x57 die or similar to put some taper in the 308 case to reduce the force it takes to run the 308 case through the swadge die.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.