Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this 5 round clip up of 7.7 today at a small gun shop. It looks to me as the explosive flat tipped machine gun ammo. They appear to have a dark purple sealant around the neck. What do you guys think. The stripper clip is steel and not one of the brass ones.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,598 Posts
TYpe 89/92 Explosive Bullet Ammo (Flat tip[, Purple sealant)

If the Clip is also a T89 (Airforce Gun) Clip, you have a really desireable collector's Piece.

The 7,7x58 Semi Rimmed Cartridge series was first developed for the Army-Airforce's T89 Flexible Gun, a Pan-feed Type 11 Upgrade; then when the Army (infantry) developed the T92 (Woodpecker) MMG, they adopted the T89 Cartridge case, and changed the bullet weigths etc. The Airforce subsequently also used the T92 cartridge in the T89 GUns ( and their T89 Fixed Vickers Clones as well.). 50 round Packs (Loose or clipped) have appeared in Cartridge Collections from time to time. Airforce use markings explain " may be used in both T89 and T92 MGs".

Nice find. Keep intact. The T89 clip was used in the special Chain-fed Mags for the BINARY T.89 and T.01 guns; it is wider than a normal T99 rifle clip.

Regards,
Doc AV

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was doing a little clean out around the shop. I've got a lot of neat things from him. He threw the 7.7 ammo in on a deal we made. It was mixed in with other ammo that we were looking at.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Brings to mind a book I read about a German sniper using a captured Nagant and Russian explosive ammo. He went into vivid detail what this stuff did to a human body. And the ammo was really coveted by the Germans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts