Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just acquired this pistol and don't know much about it, the holster or its value. There is no manufactures name on it either. The slide is stamped with 7.65 court 9 coups "unique" There is what looks like a german swastika stamped on the barrel. 7.65mm 9 schuss is stamped on the grips. Behind the grip its stamped with a WaA 257 or 251. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
You have a Unique Model 17 made during the German occupation of France. Later during the war the gun was re-designed with an exposed hammer. Production of the exposed hammer model continued after the war. The grips on the post-war model have an intertwined "RF" in place of the "7,65mm 9 SCHUSS". The late war german proofed version is the most expensive.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice gun and holster

I think the mark is WaA 251 (WaA is the German military inspectors mark - Waffemamt)

This is associated with the factory Manufacture D'Armes des Pyrenees, Hendaye who used the trade name Unique. Established in 1925.

WaA 251 also appears on other firearms made in French factories during the German occupation.

Richie

·
Registered
1 Posts
7.65 unique

hello,
i had the opportunity of seeing a piece. it seems good. though on slide lock the barrel can be rotated and taken off the assembly. i wonder if this is natural or some sign of a damaged locking mechanism or it can be be used with a longer smooth bore silencer fit capable barrel?

·
Registered
234 Posts
unique

I thought those guns were made in spain for ww1 and a number were issued to chauchat crews.also Ruby brand name.I just repaired one.I had one yrs ago a Ruby.good gun heavy.:rolleyes::D
of shoot of browning thats part of take down.turn barrel pull forward and then run slide forward and off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unique 16 or 17?

I thought the pistol I have was a unique 17, but the saftey thumb switch is not like the ones I have seen on the 17. I just saw some pics of a unique 16 and my safety is the same style. My pistol has only one line of lettering on the slide. I have yet to see another one like it with no mfg on it. Is the pistol I have a transition between the two models?:confused:

·
1,151 Posts
Yours is a 17! I have the exact same pistol as yours but an earlier model (i believe). My grips say UNIQUE close to the top and there is a lion near the bottom.

Remember they made a whole lot of these pistols and they were made by many different companies. Mine is clean of markings other then the same as your slide and the serial number.

Sadly there are no Nazi markings on mine. As to the barrel turning and coming out that is a correct way to take it down.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,024 Posts
Manufacture dArmes de Pyrnes Franaises better known by the acronym MAPF was a civilian commercial company that was founded in 1923 by Mr. Jos Uria, initially located in the town of Bhobie, which moved to Hendaye soon afterwards. Hendaye is the most southwesterly town in the Pyrnes-Atlantiques Dpartement of Rgion Aquitaine confined on the edge of both the Atlantic Ocean and the Pyrnes Mountains.
In 1928 the company started to produce a civilian type pistol based upon the Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimtre 65 genre "Ruby but of much superior materials and workmanship that it was later adopted by the French military during the early period of World War II (1939/40) calling it the Pistolet Automatique Unique Modele 17. This pistol was made up to Fall of France on June 22, 1940 and later during the German Occupation. After the departure of the German Occupation Forces and the end of the Second World War, MAPF resumed production of a new type of Unique pistol called the Pistolet Automatique Unique R17 for various government agencies which was basically the same as the pre-war models but with an exterior hammer.
In 1951 MAPF began to make improved versions of the Unique R17 based on the German Occupation Model called the Kriegsmodell (War Model), which had an exterior case hardened hammer and arched curved grip which gave a more comfortable hold in the shooters hand. There were two main versions made and the differences were the slide markings and grips these new pistols were called Pistolet Automatique Modele Rr 1951 Police and Pistolet Automatique Modele Rr 1951.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unique 25 Cal Pistolet Automatique

I have just come into possession of a 25 calibre french made pistol. theonly inscription on the barrell is Pistolet Automatique cal 25 Modele "Unique" S.G.O. i cant read the last letter. Can anyone help me out with information regarding thei pistol. it appears to have a 5 to 7 round magazine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unique 17

I have one that my father brought back from Italy. He removed it from a German Officer. Is there somewhere I can get a new Safety/receiver lock and possibly the part it rides inside? Mine will just fall out if I don't watch it. It shoots very well and is supprisingly accurate.

My father gave it to my mom for self defense when he returned. She became an expert shooter with it.

The only markings on mine is a figure 2 located on the left, rear of the slide. There is no other markings anywhere else on the gun. The original grips are lost. My father said they were hand carved ivory but my mother didn't like the naked woman illustration on each so my father took clear plexiglass and shaped the grips. He then put them on top of a piece of aluminium so they give the appearance of pearl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
re german occupation mfg 7.65 pistol

it is my understanding that this pistol was produced with and without exposed hammer. the hammerless version was produced for the Wehrmacht and the version with the exposed hamer was a kreigsmarine(german navy) contract. I believe that approximately 15000 of ech type was produced for the German armed forces. Subsequent to this contract(am not sure if it was druing the War or post war the hammer model continued to be produced for police use)(French North African colonies,France??,French indochina??)

If its German contract production there will be a swastica on the Bbl and a Waffenamt on right side of the frame to the rear of the grips. IF you fieldstrip the pistol you will see the same matching production number stamped on the frame,the bbl and the slide. this should be a 3 digit number that does not correlate to the SN of the gun. If these 3 numbers are the same then your gun is a matching gun. Kreigsmarine regulations stated that every officer in occupied territory had to carry a sidearm. I believe that the Navy varient was primarily issued to German Navy officers stationed in France.(this is just my guess and have no data to back up this statement.) By the way the original magazines are hard to find and differ slightly from the later 9 shot Unique magazine(these later magazines will work in my gun)However the bottom of the floorplate on the unique magaines may be slightly thicker than the original magazines and you may have to grind the bottom of the floorplate with a dremel tool slightly to enable the magazine catch to function correclty. Since original holsters for this gun are hard to find and very pricey, I have found that a post war E German makarov holster fits my gun correctly and is the correct WW-2 style.

wc56

·
Registered
11 Posts
Longines

I just bought one very similar to yours.

Mine has Longines engraved on the slide and both grips.

It has made in Spain engraved and also what looks to be a

monkey or animal with a long tail engraved on the barrel,

slide and trigger housing. Also a serial no. 87219. Is there any way to find

out how old this pistol might be?

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,024 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
55,080 Posts
owned one 30 years ago- these french ww2 guns are very accurate

but very big for their cal.- German marked ones have brought $ 400 in 98% and holster extra mags. it was my first automatic and i was very much impressed with easy handling, accuracy and take down.
my gun was near 98% and sold it for $250 back before it was worth that much because it was unusually accurate and the collector only had seen it in pictures. and i didn't want to sale it he thought i was holding out for higher price.:D<><dk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.