Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
"Hotter" generally refers to a greater velocity than another comparable load, usually due to a larger powder charge. I've never seen it used in reference to stopping power.

For example, .45 ACP +P would be "hotter" than standard .45 ACP, regardless of whether it is a JHP or FMJ bullet.

As for which 7.62x39 ammo is more effective, many of the cheaper commercial Russian hollowpoints have less than impressive expansion, and generally functions similar to FMJ ammo. But some of the higher-end HPs function well, like the Hornady SST. Among the cheaper 7.62x39 ammo, the soft point round is often a better choice for expansion/"stopping power".

Also, be sure to test the HP or SP ammo before you buy a large amount. Many AKs and SKSs have issues feeding anything other than FMJ.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
.....As for which 7.62x39 ammo is more effective, many of the cheaper commercial Russian hollowpoints have less than impressive expansion, and generally functions similar to FMJ ammo. But some of the higher-end HPs function well, like the Hornady SST. Among the cheaper 7.62x39 ammo, the soft point round is often a better choice for expansion/"stopping power".

Also, be sure to test the HP or SP ammo before you buy a large amount. Many AKs and SKSs have issues feeding anything other than FMJ.

+1 on all of the above. I've seen some youtube vids that clearly showed the Russian HP behaved pretty much exactly like FMJ in terms of expansion, that is to say little or none. The Russian SP might be marginally better in this regard but the steel jacket prevents it from really expanding the way a good quality copper jacketed soft point hunting bullet should. In my experience the Russian HP's will feed ok in most guns, the SP is another story as the soft lead tip is easily deformed and in feeding and may cause jams.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a spam can of HP by mistake and will test some through my polish AK’s in a couple of days

I conceder HP “specialty “ ammo and good for home defense compared to FMJ

If the test are good I’m going to keep a few rounds and sell or trade round for round the rest for FMJ

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
When I bought my Draco, the dealers and others at the show said "don't use this weapon in your house as a "self defense" weapon as the rounds will go through the walls and may hit your neighbors house. I mention this as T-55A5 mentions using 7.62x39 for home defense.

VA-Vet

·
Registered
409 Posts
Many years ago, Soldier of Fortune posted some of their contributor's experiences with Russian HP ammo. The projectiles either didn't expand at all, or they exploded on impact. Which pretty much cured any illusions they had the Russian HP ammo was good for hunting or anything else. With a blunt tip, hollow point projectiles often stop dead in their tracks when hitting just below the mouth of the chamber. If it doesn't cause an outright malfunction, the projectile is often pushed back into the case as it chambers. Soft point ammo doesn't seem to hang up when chambering in an AK like HP does. The pointed profile, even with exposed lead, just jumps right into the chamber like FMJ. But, I've also found that the Russian & Romanian soft point ammo doesn't exactly expand either. I'm sure the bi-metal (steel & copper) jacket doesn't help in reliable expansion.

For home defense, I'd opt for something like Winchester soft point or Hornady SST (Zombie Max). I've had great luck hunting antelope and deer with the Winchester SP. They penetrate and expand.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Not all Russian hollow points are created equal. The cavity in Wolf/Tula is barely there, resulting in poor performance.

In other peoples' informal tests, Uly HPs fragmented rather dramatically.

Tula FMJ, OTOH, has an airspace in the tip and might deliver more of a hydraulic shock than Tula HP.

I don't plan on using my AKs or SKS for HD because I have neighbors living near me. And 7.62x39 will punch through walls, cabinets and other things that are in a house and still retain enough velocity to kill an innocent bystander next door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.