Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever heard of a 30calx57 wildcat. I came across some old handloads made from 30-06 brass and measure out between 7x57 and 8x57 when measuring from the base to the neck. They have bullets that appear to be a bigger bullet turned down and pointed on a lathe, and if you pull the bullets with an inertial puller the lead core tries to slide out the jacket. Don't worry I have no plans on trying to shoot any of these I was just wandering if any one has any idea what these are. Thanks

-Johnboy

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
.318" (8x57J) loads for 88 mausers?

Are you sure the bullets measure .308" diameter on the bearing surface (inside the case neck)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My good micrometer puts the bullet at .3085, I thought about the pre 1905 8x57 but it appears to be a true 30 cal the bullets vary from .307 to .309 but like a said it appears they were all turned down by hand so really not to shabby on the tolerance. I was thinking some kind of goofy wildcat, mabey back from the days when barrel reboring was more common some one had a 7x57 punched out to 308, I have seen it done on an old .220 swift to make a .257 swift always kind of thought that would be a neat little round.
-Johnboy

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The bullet may be .30 cal ball that was turned on a lathe to expose the core. This was commonly done to create makeshift hunting ammo. When the kinetic bullet puller was used the core was loosened.

This thread does make one wonder though why a 7.62x57 Mauser or 7.62x58 Jap based wildcat never originated. The 57 or 58 mm case would be a perfect taper and fit for the full range of Mauser actions, from 1891 Argy's to 1898's to M48 Yugo's. Pressure concerns wouldn't be an issue due to the need for handloading and if commercialized could be loaded safe for all action types.

The argument has always been about the availability of .30-06/.308 Win commercial/surplus ammo and that is reasonable. But it pretty much limits one to using a standard length M98 action and frequently having to make feed rail, ramp and mag length mods for the '06. The .308 frequently has feeding problems(due to a different taper and short case) and is safety limited to a M98 design. If we used the same argument, the 7mm/.308 and the .260 Rem would have never seen the light of day. The .257 Roberts and the 6mm Rem were wildcat derivatives of the 57 mm Mauser parent case. With the abundance of Mauser actions, brass, .30 cal barrels and bullets, it is curious to me why this "wildcat" never got a start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys and sorry it took me so long to get back to this I have been kinda busy lately.
-Johnboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts