Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a member provide an accurate answer.

What are safe temperature ranges for storing surplus sealed spam can 7.62x54r?
I would like to put store some in my garage. Here in Michigan seasonal temperatures can range from -5....90f in my garage. I hesitate to place the ammo there without knowing what may be safe. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Can a member provide an accurate answer.

What are safe temperature ranges for storing surplus sealed spam can 7.62x54r?
I would like to put store some in my garage. Here in Michigan seasonal temperatures can range from -5....90f in my garage. I hesitate to place the ammo there without knowing what may be safe. Thanks in advance

garage is good place to have it easily stolen...

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Do you have a basement or a root cellar? The temperature down there will be in the upper 50's-lower 60's year-round with very little day to day variation. Any moisture issues can be dealt with by a dehumidifier.

That being said, much of my overflow ammunition that I can't fit in the basement gets stored in an old, unserviceable, 1940's-vintage upright freezer (which has a door handle that accepts a padlock) in my attached garage

The original, solid metal, shelves in this freezer have NO TROUBLE AT ALL with being stacked high and tight with ammo cans, crates, and spam cans. No shelf sagging whatsoever, and it is packed almost solid!

Temperature in my attached garage (Northwestern Ohio, about 5 miles from the Lake) do not run the full range of the outdoor temperatures. They seem to run from the mid 80's in the summertime to somewhere right around freezing when the outdoor temperature gets into the below zero range, but for over 90% of the winter, the garage temperature usually bottoms out in the 40's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.