Gunboards Forums banner

7.62x54r Spam Can Identification site

24K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  clayshooter2 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a Bulgarian(???) spam can today (double circle with a 10 in the middle). I was unable at the time to determine country of origin, Milprileb helped me out but I would like to know if a site exists that shows the can markings. I.E. this mark means Russian, this Bulgaria, etc.

7.62x54r.net does not show the can lids themselves. Powder and factory source data is what I'm looking for.

TIA,

VA-Vet

#4 ·
I don't know of a site that has a truly comprehensive legend for spam cans, but the factory number is usually the last number in the series on the left side, second line (underneath the "7.62ЛПСгж"). The number code will be the same on the can as on the headstamp, so you can use the headstamp info on 7.62x54r.net as a key to the can's origin. A lot of what you'll see in the US is 10 (Bulgarian) and 188 (Novosibirsk). Another Soviet factory frequently encountered is 60. Older Soviet spam cans (the square-cornered zinc kind) will usually have a Cyrillic letter date code instead of a number (as will the ammo inside).

#5 ·

7.62 : Is the caliber

ЛПС : This is the bullet type it is Cyrillic for "LPS" LEGKOY PULLEY STAL, or light ball with mild steel core

ГЖ : This is the case type, it is cyrillic for "G ZH" and is translated as GILZA ZHELEZNAYA which means gilded metal clad steel cased

This is a really good site to look up what various other things mean RussianAmmo.org

http://russianammo.org/russabb.jpg

#9 ·
View attachment 869093

7.62 : Is the caliber

ЛПС : This is the bullet type it is Cyrillic for "LPS" LEGKOY PULLEY STAL, or light ball with mild steel core

ГЖ : This is the case type, it is cyrillic for "G ZH" and is translated as GILZA ZHELEZNAYA which means gilded metal clad steel cased

This is a really good site to look up what various other things mean RussianAmmo.org

http://russianammo.org/russabb.jpg
WOW!!! Thanks! Great posting and links.

#7 ·
I recall a thread on this about 8yrs ago with photos showing spam cans from
Poland,Romania,Hungary,Russia,Albanian and Bulgarian. I can't find that thread
so if any of you saved this info, would you repost it to the boards ?

Polish LPS and Hungarian LPS spam cans, anyone got a qick answer what to look for to identify which is which without opening them up ?

#16 ·
It's Russian.
A slightly more correct translation is ЛПС:
Лёгкая Пуля со Стальным середчиком (Lyogkaya Pulya so Stal'nym seredchikom): Light bullet with a steel core.
ГЖ: Гильза Железная (Gil'za Zheleznaya): Iron sleeve.

So your cartridge is a light steel alloy projectile with an iron casing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.