Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I read these correctly, the green tin was made in 1946 using powder from 1945. Are these heavy ball?

I'm guessing the zinc-gray tin above is also the same type of ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evidently (from Ted's website) both are lead-core light ball. I'm told the zinc-gray tin is 300 rounds on stripper clips. I may not get around to opening them for a long while.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Is the 300 rounder Bulgarian?

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Did anyone else notice the difference in the feet showing in the OP???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahahahaha I thought I would have been the only one. Hahahahahahaha

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to crop the photo before posting. I was hoping noboby would point out my gimpy foot. But I can see that you insensitive brutes can show no such discretion.

...I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice. ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I noticed that to. The top tin is the 300 rds on strippers that were sold about 18 months ago made in 1946. The bottom tin is 440 rds.

I bought a crate of the 1946 ammo, 880 rounds on stripper clips in two sardine cans. Some shooters of it were complaining about split necks, but have never experience any. Took apart a couple of rounds, the exposed lead base is cupped almost like a Minnie ball. Test in bound wet paper catalogs etc. revealed the bullets mushroomed almost like sporting ammo. I miked the two pulled bullets at .308", even took them to LGS and they got the same .308" results. Strange?

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Earl,

With all due respect sir, you're full of it. The Marines wouldn't take you if you had a gimp foot. Sorry it's the beer talking.

Your buddy sean

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought a crate of the 1946 ammo, 880 rounds on stripper clips in two sardine cans. Some shooters of it were complaining about split necks, but have never experience any. Took apart a couple of rounds, the exposed lead base is cupped almost like a Minnie ball. Test in bound wet paper catalogs etc. revealed the bullets mushroomed almost like sporting ammo. I miked the two pulled bullets at .308", even took them to LGS and they got the same .308" results. Strange?
I still have some of my 1946 ammo and will have to pull some and check mine and also see how it looks after shooting it in some wet catalogs. I did have some split neck after shooting it and a funky smell, more so than the 70's surplus.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,660 Posts
I got a bunch of both the 300 and 440 spam cans of this stuff :)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts