Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saved this off the old Forum thought it might be of interest.
David
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.62x54R Sniper Ammo?
Author flyboy Posted - 09/20/2003

I bought some ammo a few months ago that was advertized as sniper ammo for the M91/30s (7.62x54R). It has a very tiny headstamp that I think is "bxn" or "oxn" and "62". The ammo is in steel cases and the bullets have silver tips. Is this sniper ammo. I am asking because I located some more, at a good price, and will buy it if is sniper ammo.
--------------------------------------------

BSA

Sounds like you have some Czech ammo. Accurate ammunition, but NOT sniper ammo. If you want so see some real sniper ammo, there is a 20rd bundle for sale on Auction Arms. Price is $40!
---------------------------------------------

AKMS

Indeed, the Czech ammo is simply type LPS steel core ball. Although it is of good quality, it is not sniper grade ammo. There is a lot of this kind of mis-representation out there. This Czech ammo is one good example, and the guy on Auction Arms selling the silver/yellow tip Hungarian heavy ball as being sniper ammo is another. I even referred the gentleman to the AIM surplus website showing full cans of the EXACT same ammo for sale, but he persists on trying to scam unaware buyers.
As was mentioned, the only true sniper ammo out there in 7.62x54r is the Russian stuff shown on Auction Arms. $40 is a good price IMHO, since I've sold single specimins of this round for $10 and up! AKMS
----------------------------------------------

flyboy

Thanks AKMS & BSA

I thought it was too good to be true and wanted to check it out. I had heard sniper ammo for the M91/30 was hard to get so when this showed up at one of the regular ammo dealers at my local gun show, I was really wondering if it was what he said it was. To the sellers benefit he did say he only was told it was sniper ammo and did not really know if it was or not.

Kivaari

The only "sniper" ammo I've seen was marketed through east Germany in a blue and yellow box as "EXTRA", but mfg in Russia. I believe it was target ammo

It's pretty accurate but I've had copper washed Russian 86 headstamped ammo that was just as good, IMHO.

I suspect the same Russian factory makes the current "Wolf EXTRA" as both are brass cased, 200 grain bt ammo though I've not compared headstamps.

kivaari

Dosing

40$ a bundle, ouch. This is the same stuff available here in Canada for a little over 80$US per 440 round case. And it is way better than regular 7.62X54R ammo.

Mig278

Dosing, Can you show us a pic of what you can buy in Canada? Mig.

jarcp

I have laid out the cash for the true sniper ammo to see what it would do. I was not impressed, and consequently started a run of truly accurate x54 with the Sierra 175g BTHPs. It's not nearly as expensive an a helluva lot more accurate.e.

AKMS

The "Extra" brand ammo is Match ammo, not "sniper". LVE Novosibirsk made the "Extra" and is also making the 54r ammo marketed by WOLF. The match ammo has a factory code of "188" and the WOLF is either marked "LVE" of has "WOLF" in the headstamp. Russian standards are not comparable to US standards, so if it is supposed to be match or sniper grade, I would not be surprised to be disappointed! AKMS

Dosing

MIG I wish I could, but I don't have a digital camera handy, and the company selling it doesn't actually show an image of it on thier page. You can see images of it though back on Mosin Nagant (gunboards.com) section, under the ammunition section. "110 Years of 7.62X54R" has images of it. The batch I recieved looks just the same as they show, the printed bundles (ends stapled, no string), in a green spam can. I was surprised when I got it, as the company is only selling it as "precision" ammunition. The case I got was Factory 188, 1997. I find it noticably better than regular vintage ball, and even at it's current price it is well less than Norma, Sako and Lapua, and even less than the chinese hunting ammo in 7.62X54R we have up here. On the down side we don't get Wolf, or [email protected]'s load.

AKMS

Wow, I'm surprised you Canadians can get cool stuff like steel cored sniper ammo! I couldn't even send dummy cartridges to a guy in Canada! I thought the firearm and ammo laws in Canada were very strict. Am I wrong?
I live 180 miles South of Quebec province and have always heard from the hunters here going to Canada that the laws are very restrictive. Maybe it's just Americans going into the country with firearms that freaks out the border guys! AKMS

Mig278

Dosing, Im just wondering if your importer has ties to any US importer as most folk down here would go ape to get a spam can of this ammo. I have searched in vain to locate some to no avail. These importers have to get this ammo from nearly the same sources. There just can't be that many sources for this stuff as the wholesale market here in the US doesn't seem to have that many players. Who is your source if you don't mind sharing? You can email me [email protected] if you don't want to spread it over the cyber universe.

Dosing

Well Canada has it's ups and downs. With the ammo we have the trade offs I mentioned. The company carrying it is www.Districorp.ca You will see it listed under the ammo section, below the MFS stuff, just says 'precision'. I got in a case, at wholesale(65$US) I couldn't say no. The other downside is that this shipment may not reappear here for years. As for getting ammo across the dummies should have been fine, but otherwise forget it. AKMS if you were heading north for a day trip see what they would let you bring back into the US, Districorp is in Quebec.

Franchi
See the picture below of photos supplied by Chestnut Ridge Supply of Russian sniper ammo they were selling about a year ago.
David Franchi

Mig278

Thats it!!! Did you buy any? I can not find this stuff anywhere!!!

Franchi

No I didn't get any from "Chestnut", they were sold out. Did get one pack from someone who bought a "tin", cost $25.00. Don't remember who, but think it was an ad. on "Tuco's for sale" about a year ago. Try running a wanted on Tuco's. David

NGumfor

Haha, I like how it says "sniperski" on it.

-----------
http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3848

1 - 2 of 2 Posts