Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like it trickling in bit by bit, only to be snatched up for prices double what was being paid 2 months ago. Anyone know anything about new imports?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,010 Posts
Guy at a show today had packets of that Russian "Sniper" ammo for $12 each. Less than a year ago I passed on it at $6.00.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
At gun show in Rochester, NY tuis weekend, 440 rnd can of Hungarian 147gr was going for $100.00.
Where will this end?
riflemanone

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
I'm not buying any at these ridiculous prices.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1, I don't know what good it will do, but if people (even just boards members) hold out on them, maybe the prices will lower.

·
Registered
314 Posts
im all for that but mostly because i can't afford to get it in the quantity i want. i think i will sit on my small pile for now and pray that the price comes down.

+1 on holding out, it has to come down in price...it just has to :(

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You still get the bang and the sore shoulder, but what fun is shooting gasses and no bullet?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still, it could become a last resort. I looked and for like $25, you can buy like 1200 rounds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have heard from military guys that used them in parade rifles that shooting numerous blanks will take a serious toll on a bore over time. Wonder if the powder could be used to reload anything useful & how much is in each case?

·
Gold Bullet Member
886 Posts
I've seen other posts mention that the powder used in blanks does not have the same burn rate as standard powder and is therefore not safe to use for reloading live rounds.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I loaded a 762X54R rd with 35 grs of blank powder and took it out back put it in a gun vice used a string and let it rip the case got stuck in chamber. I had to hammer it out with a brass rod Other than the case getting stuck it was fine. I will never do it agin. It is a very HOT load. I think if you shot 5 rds It would brack something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was wondering if the burn rate might be like Unique or something similar that might be useful for reduced loads (like 10-12gr) using cast bullets in cartridges like 8mm, 7.62x54, '06, ect.

1eye - I pull down Albanian x54 & reload 32.2grs of it it in the CDNN x54 cases with boxer primers. It is a very comfortable load at about 2100 fps with the Albanian 148gr bullet. I would think 35grs of blank powder would be in the 75kPSI (or higher) range.

"I will never do it agin."

I can see why...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, that's gotta be a hot load! Would kind of be a cool experiment to see how hot you can safely shoot a load :)

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I have heard from military guys that used them in parade rifles that shooting numerous blanks will take a serious toll on a bore over time. Wonder if the powder could be used to reload anything useful & how much is in each case?

Reason Parade use is so hard on rifles is the blank is often CORROSIVE primed and blanks leave TONS of soot and dirt in the bore. These guys put up the rifle dirty and the soot helps hold moisture from the atmosphere...the corrosive salts pull in more moisture...this mix of carbon, unburned powder, and salts from the powder are what kill the bore.

I was sent an 03 Springfield that was a honor guard rifle...the whole middle of the bore was so "gone" I bet the bullet could tumble and leave the muzzle base first! This was a CMP slip up. But they took the rifle back and put a brand new High Standard WW2 replacement barrel on there for me. Shoots like a dream now!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I was wondering if the burn rate might be like Unique or something similar that might be useful for reduced loads (like 10-12gr) using cast bullets in cartridges like 8mm, 7.62x54, '06, ect.

It may work in small handgun rds like 380 or 38 S&W 32acp 25acp Something like 2 or 3 grs. Maybe a good load for the cowboy shooters. They load way down use wax over corn cob. Stuff like that it should work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
UHMMM, Don't use powder from blanks or grenade launching cartridges for reloading, since much of it is closer to flash powder (like they use to use in old fashion camera's) than it is to the more common smokeless powders.

Some is very similar to black powder and may infact be BP, but have a burning rate that may emulate FFFFG (basically a priming type powder) and a little goes a long way, it could also be powders that failed quality control tests, much like most of the brass used for blanks.

If you want to make a lot of noise, reinactments, dog or horse, novice shooter training, it's great stuff, tear it down and use it for reloading? save yourself a whole lot of potential heartache (and medical bills) and don't bother.

Of course this is only my opinion as he visualises a pre WW2 Mauser hand crafted in Britain by an illustrious company, that was blown to bits, when a long since passed, friend decided to experiment with such an idea in the interest of saving a buck or two.

He didn't lose anything, but carried scars for the rest of his life.

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
"You still get the bang and the sore shoulder, but what fun is shooting gasses and no bullet?"

Loud bang, but no sore shoulder. Blanks have no recoil, as they have no bullet.
Like Shaughn said, blank powder is for blanks only. Smokeless powder is a progressively burning propellant. Behind a bullet, it builds pressure and burns faster. If you have no bullet (blank), you need to use a VERY fast burning powder just to get a bang.
That being said, a friend said he had some of those blanks and dropped a piece of #0 buckshot in the chamber ahead of the blank round and it worked OK. It just doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

·
Diamond Member
13,158 Posts
Blank cartridge powder is way to fast to put behind any bullet in any caliber.. don't do it period.. it is not safe.. even in small capacity pistol cartridges, the quanities that would even have a chance of keeping presures low enough to not cause damage are so small you would not be able to get reliable ignition due to powder position with the pistol held in a normal manner.

Likewise, Grenade Blanks use an incredibly slow powder... very very different from regular blank powder so slow in fact that it's only safe use is to launch 2 pound projectiles at about 300 feet per second. So I suppose if you could cast up a 14,000 grain bullet ( 2 pounds converted to grains) in aproximately 30 caliber ( I calculate a 14,000 grain lead bullet in aproximately 30 caliber would be approximately 94 inches long btw) and would be happy with a tennis ball like trajectory I suppose it would be doable, but otherwise not.

Never confuse regular blanks with grenades blanks , never substitue one for the other. Especially never use a regular blank to launch a Rifle grenade, since doing so tends to make the rifle more of a grenade than the grenade,

Speaking of grenades, and to demonstrate the explosive power of regular blank powder , WW2 "pineapple" grenades were loaded with aproximately 600-700 grains of regular blank powder and have kill radius of about 20 feet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts