Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked this up but I'm looking for some verification. I have some yellow tipped 21 over 51 or 57 it appears. Is this Hungarian heavy ball and is it worthy of shooting? I also have some 60 over 75 that I believe is Russian. It has the red dye around the primer but is stamped on the outside edge of the rim not flat. Am I correct this is Russian light ball? I appreciate the help.
Richard

·
Gold Bullet Member
506 Posts
The first spam can I ever bought was 60/70 something light ball. I was pleased with accuracy. The copper washed cartridges fed and extracted well. Only negative I recall is that it seemed to leave a little more soot than expected.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Ive had some issues with the Hungarian in some primer issues and tough to extract.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
The "60 over 75" rounds are Soviet-made at Frunse, now Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan. Same quality like other Russian LB milsurp ammo, e.g. from Novosibirsk ("188").

Hungarian 1951 heavy ball has a lead core and with the 400-500 rounds of that ammo I've shot so far there were no issues, accuracy was pretty good from my M39, but only average at best from my (Hungarian!) M1891/30s.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
60 code used to be a common code among the span cans of LB along with 188. I always found 188 to shoot better, but both are good soviet LB rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I was incorrect regarding the Hungarian. Mine is a solid yellow tip which is called Type D Lead Core, not steel cored heavy ball, which is silver tip with a yellow ring. Anyone think there would be significant difference in the two? Thanks
Richard

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like I was incorrect regarding the Hungarian. Mine is a solid yellow tip which is called Type D Lead Core, not steel cored heavy ball, which is silver tip with a yellow ring. Anyone think there would be significant difference in the two? Thanks
Richard
Main difference is the age and the according effects on quality - the lead-core ammo usually dates from the 1950s and the steel-core one from the 1970s or 1980s (from 1975 onwards normally with lacquered steel cases instead of the copper-washed ones).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.