Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the bang for the buck department through shooter grade guns, what gives the most fun? I'm looking for

• Actually goes BANG quite reliably!
  • Not obnoxiously stinky, unusually weird, unstable or anything like that.
  • Has flame and noise and recoil so I feel like I'm really shooting something out my M44.
  • Reasonably accurate. Figure this in terms of minutes of man sized targets at 100 meters.
Of course I want it cheap, cheap, cheap so I can blast more paper.

Anything to stay away from? Anything especially good to look out for?

If you're shooting through a scope sighted 91/30 PU and want to look as good as possible with it, what surplus ammo would you recommend? What about for a regular diet for it? Accuracy is more important here. There's a guy who spent a gazillion dollars on a .300 Win Mag and I want to show him up with my Battle of Stalingrad surplus. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, CHEAP is history.
Reasonable is this:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6991&dir=18|190|191

Bulgarian HB. I've shot plenty of it, in fact picked up over 15 tins (extra spares to stash away) when it was actually cheap. Good ammo, huge fireball from a M44 and kicks like a mule and it's brass cased, what else could you ask for! All the fun you could ever expect from a MN. And it is accurate stuff, not all over the paper. AIM has some Hung. LB, pretty high $$ though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of my 91/30s does not work well with steel case ammunition. It is very hard to extract even after careful cleaning of the chamber. Don't buy 10,000 rounds until you try the ammo in your rifle.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Try to buy a pack or to of whatever varieties you can find because its like coke and pepsi everyone has there own preference and some guns have there own preference also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Polish Ammo

I saw some polish ammo for sale in 7.62X54, has anyone ever used this and is it any good. I am thinking about buying some just for target practice.(every day shooting)
thanks Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw some polish ammo for sale in 7.62X54, has anyone ever used this and is it any good. I am thinking about buying some just for target practice.(every day shooting)
thanks Bob
Polish is excellent. It was fairly available about 2-3 years ago. I would buy any I came across. The best out there now is the Hung. LB and Bulgy HB, and the only available that I have seen. The very best if you ever come across it is: Yugo. CZ Silvertip is very accurate but is steel cased, as is the Polish. Some rifles have a problem with this ammo, but other than that it's real good stuff. Out of all the steel cased ammo the only one that I would say is a sticking problem is CZ, the rest all cycles fine in my weapons. The 7N1 Russian sniper ammo is over rated. CZ silvertip is just as accurate, the only advantage to the sniper loads is if you want to blow up groundhogs with it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Czech ST
Bulgarian YT
Hungarian ST
Hungarian YT
Yugoslavian HB
Albanian LB (hey, it's actually pretty accurate, IF it will chamber!!)
Russian ST/LB

All of the above have shot reasonably well in my M91. I have never had a hang-fire, or even a dud. Every round has gone BOOM, and they have all gone where they should have.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After you've collected a few Mosin Nagants you will find that each one is different when its comes to what ammo it will shoot accurately with. I have some Albanian 7.62x54R that only my Tikka 91/30 likes. Some shoot well with Yugo brass cased, some don't etc. etc. Most all the 54R that I have tried is great for fun and plinking though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just thought I'd add as an asides:
AIM is stocking the Hungarian ST for about $80/440rd tin and an obscure Russian LB for around $70/tin of however much.
J&G (and I think Wideners) has the Bulgarian HB for around $48/300rd. tin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shot a bit of nearly everything surplus in the 54R. The Czech and Hungarian were the best, at least in my Mosins. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I vote for the Hungarian LB, with Czech silvertip running a very close second. The Polish LB is very good too, but I haven't seen any around in a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts