Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have come across about 200 once fired cases. Mix between Winchester and R-P cases. It seems the Winchester has a large primer and the R-P has small primers. Any thoughts or problems on reloading using mixed primers?...Other than the obvious of having to sort before reloading. Just make sure my load accommidates different size primers?

Thanks in advance! Roger

·
Registered
26 Posts
Roger,

Problem? none I could see. I have soem Large Rifle primed and some Small rifle primed. I have sorted out the smalls and they are in a bag ready to be loaded some day. I don't use the same load and mix and match while shooting.

I shoot my large primers now and when the life is exceeded I will shoot the Smalls, I picked up 500 small rifle primers so I am technically ready to load, just haven't done so yet.

For clarity, I will shoot ALL Small or All large on any one day. Not a magazine of 1 smal 1 large 2 small etc.....not consistent enoug for me.

Enjoy, I love loading the x39......its just so affordable

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Any time you switch any component for another you start down 10% and work up.. that goes if you switch brands of brass or sizes of primers or whatever.. so long as you follow that rule you should be fine... In your case you are switching out both brass and primer so you can expect the powder load to differ somewhat.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I've toyed with starting to reload the 7.62x39 round but can't find a good source of surplus bullets. Reloading with commercial bullets is just cost prohibitive......

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know it's not much but I will have 40 once fired winchester cases tomorrow after toying with my sks. ;) If anyone wants em I'm just going to ask for shipping.

I know this would normally go in the WTS category but I figured this would be a better place. Anyway, have a good night

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
WARNING: SKS Loading!!!

The BATFE has slammed people in JAIL because their semi auto rifle has "doubled" or "slam fired" on them.

As far as the federal courts are concerned, if it fires more than one round per trigger pull, then it IS a MACHINE GUN regardless of the shooter's intent or the rifles' condition. If you are in posession of it and it is not properly registered as such, then woe on you!

This is like throwing you in prison, taking your life savings, impounding your car and prohibiting you from ever driving or owning a motor vehicle again for the rest of your life because you had a tire blow out on the interstate.

Fair? It don't matter folks - it's the government!

SKSs are notorious for slam firing - there is no recoil spring on the firing pin, and when the bolt slams home the FP tends to want to keep going, frequently giving the primer of the chambered round a little "tap". The Russians decided that it was cheaper to use "hard" military primers to solve this issue rather than install the FP springs, as they did in the early production SKSs.

Commercial primers however are much "softer" and more sensitive, and much more liable to detonate given that little "tap". Thus reloaded and even some commercial X39 has a nasty reputation for multiple fires or even going full - auto on you in an SKS when loaded with it.

If a BATFE Agent happens to be around when that happens, you are very likely going to JAIL, lose all of your guns, a LOT of $$$$ (if you still have any left after a probably futile attempt at defending yourself in court) and rights to posses any firearms for the rest of your life.
They apparently have NO sense of humor about this, guys!

When loading for any semi - automatic rifle - particularly the SKS - ALWAYS use CCI "MILSPEC" primers ONLY!

Here I used some in my 7.62 X 45mm reloads. The #34 are for "Large Rifle" and i forget the no. for the Small Rifle one, but it's made for the 5.56 X 45mm or any other SR round.
You could use either one for the various X39 primer pockets.

There is someone on the SKS board who will modify an SKS bolt so that the FP has a recoil spring and is much less apt to slamfire - but even with this modification I would stick with CCI Milspec primers.
They are a little hard to get ahold of - at least up here in Maine they are - but seek them out if you can if you are going to reload the X39 - especially for an SKS!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
I know it's not much but I will have 40 once fired winchester cases tomorrow after toying with my sks. ;) If anyone wants em I'm just going to ask for shipping.

I know this would normally go in the WTS category but I figured this would be a better place. Anyway, have a good night
I'llllllllll Take 'em PM to follow thanks, Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Boxer primed X39 brass is getting hard to come by.

For a long time one was thought to be rather weird for reloading it as milsurp was so "cheap".

Well; those days are over, aren't they?

And I'm now really glad that I reload!

I tried some of that "Olympic" ammo - Greek I think. The ammo wasn't all that hot but the brass is just fine. Takes a small rifle primer which seems rather the exception to this cartridge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've heard of the slam fires and stuff happening with the SKS but haven't experienced it. I shot all 40 rounds of the Winchester white box ammo I had today without any trouble. I will agree that the spring loaded firing pin is "the" thing to get. If nothing else, for safety.

I just recently broke the bolt down and cleaned it in hot steaming water. That removed all the oils, cosmo, etc. that can cause a sticky bolt. I couldn't get the firing pin out, but it floated freely inside the bolt. I added a bit of gun oil to the rest of the components and rebuilt it.

While I agree that converting would be wise, correct maintenance and care of the rifle will always be the best course of action.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts