Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some ammo for my new SKS. I traded a friend 2 boxes of the stuff on the bottom for the box of 40 brass rounds w/clips. I bought 4 boxes of the stuff in the middle from him; I'm wondering about the "hunting" designation. It looks just like the stuff on the bottom.:confused: (green color w/red stripe). He has a wooden crate full of the stuff on top. He has an AK and doesn't need the stripper clips. I'm going to work on him do do some more trading.

AC

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well bch, what I mean is the bullets are FMJ, just like the ones on the stripper clips. I was thinking soft lead points are SP and hollow points are HP.:eek:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picture

Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I mean...The cartridges in the bottom box look just like this.

I wonder how "hunting cartridge" could be FMJ.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think the top stuff is Yugo. The other two boxes are Russian, but different makers. Who are the makers? I know it says, but do they go by a more common name?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bch. So then I must have the early stuff you alluded to in your first post? And it's corrosive in spite of what the box says. Those Russians are tricky!:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
The brass cased stuff on top is Yugoslavian Military surplus good ammo but corrosive for sure,just make sure you clean your rifle and gas system after you shoot it,and on the same day. The other two brands could have been produced by anyone of the several Russian plants regardless of the box markings since they produced ammo for one another and just packed it in the respective boxes.

The middle box also came in blue and white as well with the same info on the box. You need to check your local wildlife regulations,most state don't allow big game hunting with FMJ bullets,varmints may be a different story. Check the # on the case they will tell you what plant made the ammo and the year it was made.

Here are a few the factory 711 stopped producing ammo in 2002 but the rest still do.

3 = Ulyanovsk
7 = Amursk (Vympel)
17 = Barnaul
539 = Tula
711 = Klimovsk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your informative answer, SKS, I appreciate it. That's what I wanted to know.:)

AC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is a Wolf 154 gr SP taken from a deer hit in the chest at around 75 yds ended up in the rear section of the animal killed it but,the steel jacket bullet doesn't expand much probably could have filed the nose down reloaded it and shot it again.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,990 Posts
I'm inclined to agree. If they are M67 bullets (different design of bullet) they'll do a bit more damage to light targets than the M43 cartridges, and most 7.62x39 are M67 bullets now. Wolf sells 154 grain soft points, they work fine.
I beleive that most current ammo imported now is the older, M43 cartridges.

boattailed ammo is M43 design.

only yugo ammo is M67 i think.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Top is Yugo military-corrosive

Middle is a product of Ulyanovsk, m-67 style projectile, late enough production to be non-corrosive.

Bottom is made by Tula, using a lead core with a M-43 type jacket, also late enough to be non-corrosive. The early lots of Russian 7.62x39mm that used corrosive primers all have the military type headstamps such as "3 93" and "711 93". The "TCW" brand came before "WOLF", but is the same maker.

D.D.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Here is a Wolf 154 gr SP taken from a deer hit in the chest at around 75 yds ended up in the rear section of the animal killed it but,the steel jacket bullet doesn't expand much probably could have filed the nose down reloaded it and shot it again.

Tongue in cheeck.

Looks OK to me. The point is as advertised SOFT.

Gotta take anything written on the box or claims with a grain of salt with any foreign ammo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That was a bullet from a friend of mines SKS on another board,I shoot some of that Russian stuff just for plinking,I reload all my own ammo for hunting and any serious target shooting. As far as the point thats about all thats soft on that ammo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.