Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 7.62x39 bxn over 73 ammo on strippers,clips also marked bxn.Is it steel core and corrosive? TIA....Mariko

·
Registered
60 Posts
The magnet test does not indicate a steel core, most rounds have a thin steel casing with a copper cover layer but no steel core.

The only way to really tell is to remove a bullet and cut it in half.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The magnet test does not indicate a steel core, most rounds have a thin steel casing with a copper cover layer but no steel core.

The only way to really tell is to remove a bullet and cut it in half.

Yes you are correct but if his intent is to use it at a range that does not allow steel core they will do the magnet test and if it sticks they will not let you use it no mattet how hard you try to convince them.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A fast way to find out what the core is is a bolt cutter. Or you can pull the bullet and hold the bullet with a vise grip and heat it with a torch the lead that hold the steel core in will meld and then you can get at the core and if it is lead it will all melt out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On Chinese ammo, if the bullet is Boattail shaped , it is Steel core. If flatbased, Lead core center. So you can just pull one bullet. I would think All SC 762x39 is boattail shaped.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Being bxn it is almost certainly steel cored. This stuff is readily, and affordably, imported into Canada but not the US.
I personally wouldn't shoot it, being relatively collectible.

E.S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts