Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently obtained part of a slightly used Interceptor Body Armor vest, along with a "Trauma pack" and thought it would be interesting to test out the 7.62x25 Tokarev round.

I don't know the details of the construction of the vest or the trauma pack, but the vest appears to have a yellow Kevlar like material inside and the trauma pack has a tightly packed white material that might also be Kevlar. I was told that the trauma pack would not stop rifle rounds. I welcome any additional information about what the materials/construction might be.

The target - vest with trauma pack
Front

Back

The pistol and ammo - Romanian TT33C, 1980's Romanian surplus ammo

The vest alone was able to stop a 124gr. FMJ 9mm Luger round. The 7.62x25 round went right through the vest, through a 1/2" thick fiber reinforced rubber mat, and deep into the dirt backstop.
front

back

The 7.62x25 rounds also went through the trauma pack, through the vest, through a 1/2" thick fiber reinforced rubber mat, and deep into the dirt backstop! I suspect that the trauma pack's ability to stop these rounds was compromised by the 5.7x28 rounds (polymer tipped, lead core) that were fired into it previously. The trauma pack was able to stop all of the 5.7x28 rounds, but they went right through the vest by itself.
front

The paths of the 7.62x25 Tokarev bullets were deflected substantially by the trauma pack but the still managed penetrate everything.
back of vest behind trauma pack

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
Interesting results. Thanks for posting them. I've tried the same on the old style flack vest but not on the newer armor.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should note that I only shot at what you see - the insert with no OTV outershell as the label strictly warns against. Also, the insert was made in 2001 and may not be a "serviceable" vest. I was not trying to test an Interceptor brand body armor system, I was only trying to compare the penetrating abilities of a few pistol rounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always wanted to see that. I own a CZ-52.
7.62x25 is a sexy round. There's really no other word that could properly describe it. LoL.

Thanks for sharing the photos. I've seen the test done with new-ish kevlar helmets. I know that they're only intended to deflect shrapnel, but hot-loaded .357 magnum rounds, .9mm, and .32 (obviously) caliber rounds wouldn't penetrate. The CZ-52 could bust through a helmet like a whale lookin' for his TicTacs.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
A buddy of mine flies a blackhawk for Customs...we shot through his old vest folded over (two layers) with a 7.62x25mm. Small / fast pistol bullets defeat the average vest.

·
Administrator
53,348 Posts
Can we calculate these results into how many zombies the round would go thru when they are lined up coming at you in the hallway. :)

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
Don't know if Centerfire offers them or not. The flack vest in question was a standard issue kevlar vest from the 90s. My Tok and CZ went right through into the back wall of my home rifle/pistol range which is nothing more than a horseshoe shaped walls of old railroad ties with a dirt mound behind it I pushed up with my tractor. Not really a fair test because if memory serves, washing them with detergent voided the warrenty and this one had been.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to confirm the "urban myth" that 7.62x25 will punch through most body armor like it was cardboard!
Just a week ago, one of these little pistol rounds carried 200m and whacked the steel target holders for the rifle targets we use punching clean little hole through plate steel and lodged in the wood target stick. The round was hardly deformed and, yes, it did have a steel core.
So called "man stopping" ability of this round has often been questioned as they tend to drill nice clean holes through and through without transfer of much kinetic energy. However, going up against an enemy with light body armor, it would be worthy of consideration.
The CZ-52 is rapidly becoming one of our favorite range guns as it is extremely accurate, fun to shoot and cheap to feed!

·
Registered
141 Posts
huh.
I tried it shooting at a german flecktarn flak vest off my porch, and it didn't go through. Used a cz52, with the surplus ball ammo. I laid the vest down on the ground about 10 ft below my porch. Maybe it was the angle. Huh...I'm going to have to try this one again!!!
Thanks for posting your results man!! Always wondered if my testing was a fluke, and now I'm going to have to try it again!! BTW...I'm a big fan of x25...!

·
Gold Bullet member
297 Posts
Jeffersonsproxy-Like others said this is old news. I myself read about it along with countless others in 1992. 3rd edition of "Combat Handgunnery" by the late Charles Karwan. Karwan tests the 7.62x25 on a threat level 2 vest and states he has researched fact that it will penetrate most 3A vests as well. He states also that the then at the time Royal Hong Kong Police have known this for a very long time and have had vests 3a+ made to defeat that cartridge specifically. The point is the penetrating ability of the 7.62x25 is already known or at least suspected by many including Military and L.E.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,104 Posts
I find these postings quite interesting and I thank you for doing these tests and showing us the results, jjjxlr8.

Having said that........I still feel that posting of these sorts of results will ultimately serve to give political "ammunition" to the antis and the BATFE, who may likely declare 7.62x25mm pistol ammunition to be "armor piercing" after seeing these pics. This would stop all further importation of surplus ammunition in this caliber, and likely cause difficulties for those who own quantities of this ammo, at least in certain jurisdictions. Perhaps these sorts of posts are not in the long-term best interests of gun owners?

·
Silver Bullet member
55,181 Posts
SARETROB i've been told by local police, that even sweet will deteriorate the vest and after apx. 5 years they turn them in for new ones!
having a vest on the ground SGLENN may varier the results with the ground giving differently than a hard support.? :?
i have had good results shooting through car doors with window up or down 71 LTD and windshields of junked cars.:thumbsup:
sorry if i offended anyone with any of my last post.:sorry:<><DK

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,974 Posts
I find these postings quite interesting and I thank you for doing these tests and showing us the results, jjjxlr8.

Having said that........I still feel that posting of these sorts of results will ultimately serve to give political "ammunition" to the antis and the BATFE, who may likely declare 7.62x25mm pistol ammunition to be "armor piercing" after seeing these pics. This would stop all further importation of surplus ammunition in this caliber, and likely cause difficulties for those who own quantities of this ammo, at least in certain jurisdictions. Perhaps these sorts of posts are not in the long-term best interests of gun owners?

BATFE declares pistol rounds AP or not depending on the core composition, NOT by what it can punch through.

so thats why soft steel core rounds that are not AP (such as steel cored 7.62x39) is considered AP by the BATFE, even though its not.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,104 Posts
BATFE declares pistol rounds AP or not depending on the core composition, NOT by what it can punch through.

so thats why soft steel core rounds that are not AP (such as steel cored 7.62x39) is considered AP by the BATFE, even though its not.

I understand your point and agree with you. But I am not talking reason and rational thought here....I am talking politics, which usually dispenses with logic and substitutes emotion. A pic showing a bullet proof vest full of holes from pistol shots is just the sort of thing to be presented out of context to a Senate subcommittee hearing, or on the TV news......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.