Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the January issue of "Guns" magazine. Mike "Duke" Venturino blathers on in an article about the PPSH-41 burp gun and makes this statement: "Most people also ask, "What cartridge is a PPsh41 chambered for?" I say 7.62x25mm and again they look blank. Then when you tell them it's interchangeable with the .30 Mauser of "Broomhandle" fame, again the lights come on."
I could hardly believe my eyes when I read this-just reconfirmed my already low opinion of gunwriters. I hope Guns magazine has some good liability insurance when somebody who reads this article fires some 7.62 Tokarev rounds in his Broomhandle and the bolt smacks him in the head.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dimensionally they fit in the same guns... pressure-wise, they do not. I would have related it to a 9mm before relating it to the .30 mauser. Really, who shoots .30 mauser, i think there are much more 7.62x25 shooters out there.
Yes, they are dimensionallythe same which is the point of my post. Yes, there are a lot of folks out there who shoot 7.62 Tokarev in their pistols designed to shoot 7.62 Tok. Nevertheless, enough shoot .30 Mauser that Prvi Partisan and Fiochi make ammo for it and I see at least one Broomhandle at most gun shows.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I know a guy who did blow up a c96 shooting Czech Tokarev ammo through it. There is a fellow on 1896Mauser.com who this also happened to as well. Big boys rules. If you do it-just don't stand by me at the range.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
When I was stationed in Germany I had a c96. In the early 90's the only .30 Mauser I could get there was Fiocchi. I had a chronograph at the time and was stunned by the results when I fired the Fiocchi. The average velocity was 850 FPS. I couldn't believe it so I fired some Federal 230 ball out of my 1911 to see if the chronograph was working. The 230 ball flew at around 840 FPS. 850 FPS meant that with Fiocchi I was shooting the worlds largest .32 ACP pistol.

I'm really hinky about checking bolt stops, using ONLY .30 Mauser, and replacing springs in my Broomhandles as I shoot them a lot with the stocks attached. Having that bolt fly out six inches from your face would be no fun at all.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
"Looks stronger"?? I hope you wear body armor and a welder's helmet when you conduct your experiments!

I have seen two broomhandles blown up by combloc Tok ammo.

As for "Duke" Venturino, he's always been a buffoon, but he seems to have gotten a lot worse since he ventured (pun intended) into the milsurp area.
Yeah, you are right about that. I recently read another of his doofus articles where he was shooting some WWII C&R pistols at a GI helmet to see if they would penetrate. He said something like he didn't fire a 9MM or a 7.62X25 Tokarev at the helmet as he "knew" they would both go through. He was probably correct about the 7.62X25 but NOT about the 9MM. When I was a kid a friend of mine and I tried popping a GI helmet. Neither factory 9MM, GI ball, nor a factory .38 Super FMJ would penetrate the helmet (the Super did put a helluva dent in it). "Duke" reminds me of Mikey on American Chopper-a big fat goofball

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.