Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a tin with solder of the 7.62 dated '54. is that supposed to be the "bad" year? i haven't opened it yet. it's 1260rds, says something like Pist.....5-54.... P45, etc. gotten from SG for 114 bucks, did'nt state what country. is it romanian, polish.....? just wanted to stock up cheap, seems the big lots of x25 are thinning out, except for 140+ bucks.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,526 Posts
What "bad" year??? No such animal.
Yours is probably Polish, should be good to go.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
x25 ammo in tin

thanks. i was thinking polish because the first can i got was green with a can opener, romanian i think. anyway, here it is. i'll probably pop a few caps this weekend with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got a can in two days ago and mine is 4-54 its polish. They did have the romanian, but its long sold out from Sportsmans Guide. I noticed now they are out of stock on the Polish but taking Back Orders. I keep putting Tok ammo away. I think once its gone its gone.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rock, stocking up sounds like a good idea...... i just don't think 2500 rounds for 2 toks are enough. now the 64 dollar question. how do you open this stuff. i pried the square tab in the corner up, nothing else to grab, what next..... a hammer and chisel?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Rock, stocking up sounds like a good idea...... i just don't think 2500 rounds for 2 toks are enough. now the 64 dollar question. how do you open this stuff. i pried the square tab in the corner up, nothing else to grab, what next..... a hammer and chisel?
Grab that tab with needle nose pliers and ROLL it on the pliers like you did with the old key on a Coffee can. You can then roll open the BIG LID with vise grips kind of the same way.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, i tried pulling it and no luck. i'll use the roll technique.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have thought about getting more of this. I have about 1600 rds of the yugo, which I think is easily the best. I have just been nervous about the polish.....but everyone seems to think its ok, split necks or not. Maybe I need to just give it a shot....

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally got it opened. it looks very good. bright and shiny, only the smallest speck of tarnish on a couple of brass cases. don't know if all the talk of split necks is after it's fired, i see no splits..... but i see how it could happen. the bullet is crimped with 3 dot indentations, which i could see causing a split on firing. i'll shoot some this afternoon if not too worn out from bream fishing and check it out.:) really looks good for the price, though.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
1260 rounds per can is Polish or Chinese (maybe some others too but I don't know) The stuff you're thinking of is Bulgarian (53 is the year most talked about) and comes 800 rounds per can. Your ammo will be in 70 round boxes while the Bulgarian is in 16 round paper packs. (the 70 round box being perfect for a PPSH drum or two stick mags, the 16 rounds being for two TT mags) Romanian in the green cans is 1224 rounds (72 per box)
I wouldn't be concerned about the splitting necks, it's never caused me a problem in my TT-33.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
correct, it's 70 in a box. so this is polish? read other posts saying the polish ammo was tight in a romanian tok. did'nt get to shoot today, bream were biting too good. just went and cycled 4 or 5 rounds thru one of my romanians, smooth as butter. thanks for letting me know the difference, already had some romanian, so i knew what it looked like. usually SG gives a pretty decent description of their ammo, on this stuff, no mention.

·
Copper Bullet member
301 Posts
FWIW the Romanian surplus I have also has split necks after firing, so I don't think it would be an issue, but they do have some hard primers, usually about 2-3 rounds per box require a second strike to fire. I have a tin of the Polish with another on the way with no reservations about it. Also does anyone know if there is any Yugo available anywhere, I'd like to try some.

Edit to add about the hard primers.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The Yugo is the nicest looking ammo, red primer sealant and extra shiny brass, but its hard primers and very dirty on the bore and chamber. It also is not near as accurate in my CZ52. It has nice waxy paper separating the rounds and is packaged nicely, but Polish 50's is better IMHO. Romanian is the weakest and does not group consistently at longer ranges. A 10ft. group at 250yards, vs 4ft. or smaller groups from the Polish, and this is just resting off a fence post, no sandbag rest. The Romanian was all over the place at 250yds. The Polish tapped the tank usually one out of 8, maybe two, and the rest kicked dirt closer than two or three feet from the tank. The Romanian is very accurate under 100 yds. and has never required a second primer strike, as the Yugo does. I'm sure a bench rest would show much better groups from the Polish at long ranges. The Polish runs 1550-1570fps from a CZ52 and has one helluva muzzle blast.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, took some out today for a shoot. it all went bang, was pretty accurate in my romanian. then tried some in the 7.62x25 insert in an old '55 M44. the polish 54 split cases and was a bugger to remove from the insert....... the 54 romanian did'nt split cases, and was even more difficult to remove. these things are truly 1 shot wonders, but the insert ejected from the M44 with no problems. shooting at about 35 yards, i managed to hit the 16x20 target once.:) will go back and try again with more tools, didn't shoot much, maybe 6 or 7 rounds because beating the cleaning rod on my trailer hitch with the insert on 1 end really got old.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The tok is a hot round and you're probably talking about some serious case expansion. I hear it's easier using the adapters for .32 ACP, although I can't imagine that has a lot of momentum left after leaving a Mosin barrel

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Wrong! There are many countries which have had very bad ammo in certain yrs and is to dangerous to use!
That's easy to say. Specifics please. What countries, what years?

SlimTim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Post a picture of the case with the numbers on the bottom. I have bulgarian ammo in tin cases like what you posted and it works great. It has 54, for the year, and 10 on the bottom, the country code for bulgaria. Post it and i'll let you know if it's the same stuff i have. I've fired around 500 rounds of the stuff and never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts