Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to load some tokerev ammo with 115 cast bullets intended for a .30 carbine my reload books don't have any loads for this with the powders I have on hand actually Lil gun and Unique . I have looked at .30 mauser but nothing with a heavy bullet so looking on the net someone listed 11.0 grains of lil gun as a max load and they said they ran it on load data .com it shot at 1250 fps which is fine with me I would just like to know if anybody else has done this or for that matter shot unique.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Look at the data you have for lighter weight bullets using Unique. Then if it was me I'd drop that max load data by at least two grains and try a couple, then work up from there. Also if you want to run lead bullets at 1250fps be ready to clean the lead from your firearm unless your using extremely hard lead or gas checks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's some data for heavier bullets
3.8gr trail boss w 115gr lead (hand loads.com)
7.2gr AA#5 W 113GR lead
8.6gr AA#7 w 113gr lead
5.6gr AA#2 w 113gr lead
Above 113gr lead loads from Makarov.com
4gr titegroup w 110gr Speer JHP

I personally use 7.8gr AA#7 with 110gr .308 FMJ and get about 1150fps great accuracy and perfect function from a Yugo M57 Tokarev.
Same load works great in a CZ52

I've also seen 4gr Bullseye for 110gr FMJ but I haven't tried it. I did try 4gr bullseye with 90gr .309 Hornady XTP and it didn't cycle the slide, so it sounds like that might be about right...

Hope that helps you get started!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also Better Bullets makes a .310 cast lead 92gr round nose for the .30 Mauser/Tokarev that works well. I've ran it @ about 1250 fps with no leading issues. Kings shooting supplies sells them

·
Registered
614 Posts
I use Hunter Specialties 115 LRN bullets in my Romanian TTC Tok. They are 310 diameter. My charge is 5.8gr Unique and I use reformed/trimmed .223 brass. This is a tricky round to load for. In my case, I do not need to inside ream necks. I do however need to run the finished cartridge through the resizing die with the primer pin removed or the rounds will not chamber.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm using the Lee die set and actual 7.62x25 brass, and no matter what I do, the rounds will NOT chamber in any of my Tokarev clones unless I size the brass with a 9x19 sizer after running it through the 7.6x25 sizer. I tried everything. They will work in my CZ52 just fine, but my 3 Yugo and 2 Polish Tokarevs have tighter chambers and my Lee sizer doesn't size them down correctly, they are just a tad too big.

My dad got his set of dies from the same batch because they do the same for him. Tried every adjustment and trick you can imagine to no avail. Contacted Lee and the best they can do is have me send the dies in with some fired brass and freshly sized brass.

The freshly sized casing by itself won't even fit in the chamber, that's how we know its the sizing die and not some other part of the process such as improper bullet seating or bulging the case while seating, or not getting the case neck back down to size after expanding to seat the bullet.

Frustrating!

I will try your unique load. Besides being a bit tricky to meter because of the big flakes, I like Unique so far. I got some good results with Bullseye today with 92gr .310" lead bullets as well.

My WC820 loads were too light and got some inconsistent ignition. Picking up some magnum small pistol primers tomorrow and will work the charge up slowly.

I pick up the stuff to trim the 223 brass tomorrow so I'll give that a go soon. Since my sizing die isn't right, we will see how that goes.. I need to send the die to Lee one of these days, but I am delaying because it will make me really mad if they try to tell me its OK. My dad has been reloading for 40 years and we literally tried everything. Its the sizing die for sure, just off by 1 or 2 thousandths but its too much for the Tokarev style chambers, yet fine in a CZ52

God luck, have fun

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Myself, I have a file trim die, after reloading my trimmed .223 brass, I make a pass thru the trim die to get out any imperfections in the neck area.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Myself, I have a file trim die, after reloading my trimmed .223 brass, I make a pass thru the trim die to get out any imperfections in the neck area.
I have never heard of this! What trim die do you use? I have to disassemble my sizing die to remove the decapping rod and your way just might be a better method. I assume the trim die resizes the slight bulges in the neck?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've never heard of it either
Are you guys using Lee sizing dies, and what types of pistols (Romanian, Yugo, CZ, etc) are you using this stuff in?

I got my .38 super carbide sizing die today so I can run it thru that die first, then just neck size with the Lee tokarev die. Shouldn't have to lube the cases that way (speaking of standard 7.62x25 brass at the moment)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On reforming 556 brass, I cut it down to ~1", size it, then when I tried the Lee Tokarev trim pilot it would not fit the neck of the now Tokarev sized brass. I had to stop as I couldn't trim to length. Any ideas? Either the brass is undersized (could be mil brass, I can't remember right now), or the trim pilot is oversized.

·
Banned
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I run a n size drill bit into it at this stage the drill barely removes any metal but everything seems to work after that , the .223 case is thicker when cut down and necked down at this point I decap and expand the neck with a 30.06 rcbs decapping die

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
I have never heard of this! What trim die do you use? I have to disassemble my sizing die to remove the decapping rod and your way just might be a better method. I assume the trim die resizes the slight bulges in the neck?

I bought the trim die from CH4D tool & die company, cost was $50.00 but I like it alot. I run my untrimmed .223 brass into it, score the brass that is sticking out, snap it off, finish with a file, works great. As I said before, I run my loaded rounds back thru it when needed to take out any bulges. Might add, you'll need an extended shell holder for it, cost about $4.00 for that.

·
Banned
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cut down to about 1 inch then neck it down in a lee die with decapping pin and expander removed then drill it with a N size drill bit then anneal and decap in a 30 06 die with expander then trim to 25 mm on a forster trimmer and finally bell the case mouth in the universal expander from lee really it's alot of work but I like it

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I cut down to about 1 inch then neck it down in a lee die with decapping pin and expander removed then drill it with a N size drill bit then anneal and decap in a 30 06 die with expander then trim to 25 mm on a forster trimmer and finally bell the case mouth in the universal expander from lee really it's alot of work but I like it
you use the 30.06 die entirely to decap?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts