Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest for the ultimate "scout rifle", I can't seem to stop thinking about a No. 4 in 7.62x51mm.

What's the going rate for a 7.62 converted No.4 in Australia these days? I seem to think that I saw one last year at around $650 mark but I saw one yesterday on usedguns for over a $1k.

I'm not talking about some rare officially converted variant, just a decent converted No.4 action with a good 7.62mm barrel. (I don't care about the stock etc.)

Is there a gunsmith who still does the conversion?

Also, what is the general consensus on the feeding reliabity of the 7.62 (and other rimless) conversions? I'll quickly stop thinking about it if they aren't as good as the .303 versions.

Just to avoid some of the possible responses;

1) I already have a Steyr Scout plus a couple of other scouts in various stages of completion.
2) I really like the .303 but I don't want it for this application. I have a No.4 Longbranch set up as a.303 range rifle and I rate it as one of my favorites.
3) Nothing original will be harmed in this project as I collect millitary rifles as well. My first idea was to go a M1903/A3 based project but I don't think I'll easily find a butchered one.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't think anything feeds quite as well as the old .303" with its tapered case and big rim. Having said that, all of the usual 7.62mm Enfield conversions work perfectly well - they feed and eject without any changes to the basic structure of the rifle. The No1-based Ishapore 2A1 is probably the fastest loader of any .308/7.62mm bolt gun, thanks to its long extractor travel, but the No4s are pretty good as well - though they can be a little stiff if they have been really kept tight for target shooting.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used to see them going for around $300-350AUD , But they all only had the 303mag and were used as single loaders by range shooters.
Now the last one I saw was $550 at a dealer and $660 at the currant gun show here in Melb also an ex range rifle

Locating a 7.62 mag is another issue IF you can find one , The promag copys are acceptable and cheap if aquired from the U.S and with a bit of tweaking on the lips can feed happily.

I have 4 , No4 7.62's and they are all former range rifle converts and they all great fun.

Keep looking , They can be found but usually you have to ask the right person in the right shop

cheers
Pugs....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm actively after a No 4 in 7.62 as well to maintain my collecting theme and as a handy sporter. Feel free to let me know of anything out there.

I saw the one in Melbourne today, Colin Green also have a L8/L42 mag on his table for 250.00.

I lingered over a rough Longbranch No 4 converted and proofed by 'Sportco', at the Adelaide show last weekend for a huge 200.00!! An ex range rifle as well, but missed it after I had finally convinced myself it was worth the effort as well as the money.

It looks like .303/25 would be a much easier way to go for a cheap sporter less the hassle of reloading this now rarely used calibre, I'd much rather go toward an AIA rifle if only they were more reasonably priced here as a sporter.

·
Silver Bullet member
146 Posts
If you seen one going for $ 1k , it must have been a AIA one. They are fantastic and are made completely from the ground up to fire the 308, not to mention all the improvments to the action and what have. So its not just your average "modified" NO4.
.....maybe thus the confusion in price diferences.....

Hey gK1,, Im sure the 303 stripper clips actualy hold the 308's quite snug as is, without any major problems. I cant see why you couldnt just use them, mind you I never have fed them through the bridge ( I dont have N04 308, but i will try it next time with my m8's)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts