Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i think i heard or read somewhere that the swiss only export this stuff in intervals...so the current stock might be running low here, but they just need to send out another shipment.

right?

·
Silver Bullet member
973 Posts
Early in the year, I saw GP-11 being sold by the battle pack (480 rounds) by several vendors for about 38 cents per round, IIRC. A quick search just now turned up one seller, who is doling out the ammo by the brick (60 rounds) for 50 cents per round. With more digging though, you may be able to find it cheaper. I bagged a battle pack two months ago for $210 shipped from another Gunboard member.

Hopefully the Swiss will indeed release another shipment of the stuff, otherwise you may want to get started with reloads...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I'm reloading my 7.5x55 for under $.20/round so it doesn't take long to pay for equipment if you have to shell out $.50/round...

·
Silver Bullet member
973 Posts
I'm reloading my 7.5x55 for under $.20/round so it doesn't take long to pay for equipment if you have to shell out $.50/round...
But what is your time worth to you? :) I'm curious, since not many people seem to reload GP-11 cases. How many rounds can you reliably reload in an hour, and how do your reloads compare to surplus GP-11 in terms of accuracy?

·
Registered
247 Posts
A bit slower than Boxer, and perhaps a shade more accurate

How many rounds can you reliably reload in an hour, and how do your reloads compare to surplus GP-11 in terms of accuracy?
I like to prep brass while watching TV. The RCBS tool works fine, and I can do something like 200 during a 1 hour television program. With that done, the loading time difference is zero.

Priming .217" Berdan pockets takes the same equipment and time as Boxer large rifle.

The big time consumer in preparing Berdan brass is trimming the brass, not removing spent Berdan primers, and this is not a whit different from Boxer.

Berdan brass has required a lot less load development for me than Boxer brass. I won't say it shoots better, just that load development has been shorter for me. I've shot handloads in several of the last Civilian Marksmanship Program's Vintage Military Rifle matches, and won Gold medals in all of them: #29 of 330 this year, #6 of about the same number last year, and I don't remember what the year before.

Christopher Dingell

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for not ordering more 480 cases of the GP-11 from S. Guide about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. I was a club member at the time. Always used a coupon. If I recall correctly, one case of 480 rds. shipped was around $155 to $160. sigh

I did recently buy 100 rds of the Prvi for a possible "getting into reloading".

Cheers.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
But what is your time worth to you? :) I'm curious, since not many people seem to reload GP-11 cases. How many rounds can you reliably reload in an hour, and how do your reloads compare to surplus GP-11 in terms of accuracy?
Didn't mean to mislead you, I am reloading commercial 7.5x55 brass, not the GP11 brass. I don't have a good source for berdan primers and I don't have the patience for reloading berdan brass. I've got a bunch of .284 brass that I resized for 7.5x55 and when I get going it doesn't take long to pound out a couple hundred rounds. Of course, it helps that I have a 550B press...:D My original point was that reloading is far cheaper than buying GP11 or commercial ammo. I can easily reload 200 rounds an hour and saving $.25-$.30 per round is paying me $50 to $60 per hour to reload...

·
Registered
472 Posts
You're right about the fact that it is time-consuming. But over the years, I have tweaked my handloads to be so accurate that I can honestly say that my loads are better than the GP-11 as far as accuracy and consistency. Not saying that the GP-11 isn't great stuff (it is!), but nothing can compete with a custom load designed specifically for your rifle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like to prep brass while watching TV. The RCBS tool works fine, and I can do something like 200 during a 1 hour television program. With that done, the loading time difference is zero.

Priming .217" Berdan pockets takes the same equipment and time as Boxer large rifle.

The big time consumer in preparing Berdan brass is trimming the brass, not removing spent Berdan primers, and this is not a whit different from Boxer.

Berdan brass has required a lot less load development for me than Boxer brass. I won't say it shoots better, just that load development has been shorter for me. I've shot handloads in several of the last Civilian Marksmanship Program's Vintage Military Rifle matches, and won Gold medals in all of them: #29 of 330 this year, #6 of about the same number last year, and I don't remember what the year before.

Christopher Dingell
I have piles of Berdan primed brass, just sitting around waiting until I can find the primers. Where are you getting the primers? I save all my 8mm, 54R, .303, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62 Nagant, x39 and x25 brass just in case I come across primers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Long ago and far away, PMC had them

PMC is long since out of them. They only brought in .217", which is the most-used, but I wish they'd have brought in .250" and .254".

There is an outlet across the river from me in Canada that is supposed to have RWS Berdan primers, but at a ridiculous price.

There are rumors that Wolf may bring some in.

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,650 Posts
Berdann SCHMERDAN!

He's right about Berdan primers! Try finding any in Alaska... LOL

And Shipping them her, IF one could find any is a logistal nightmare along with wallet emptying.....

A shame as GP11 Brass is Lovely stuff, as Is my M75 Yugo 8mm sniper stuff....

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been sitting on my two 60-round bricks of GP11, I got from Sportsman's Guide. Need to order more before it dries up.
But lately, I have begun reloading for 7.5 Swiss. I found a couple bags of .284Win new brass at our local Sportsman's Warehouse, and ordered the dies. Converting those cases is as simple as running them through the FL sizer die. My first loads tested as good as GP11, but my shooting conditions weren't good. Need to use a better rest, and the weather is now better - so I expect to have to 'tweak' my loads a bit to get as tight as GP11. Still, the handloads are working well enough. Keeps my 'Swiss Miss' shooting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.