Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just be sure of you overall length is right I have the Sierra manual and they did their testing in a 1911 and the K31s seem to have a much shorter throat, the listed length was 3.060 (won't even come close to chambering in my rifle) and I finally went with 2.875 and its about .005-.010 off the rifling. My K31 really seems to do great with IMR 3031 about 40grns worked my way up from 36 43 was max and 40 was the best, likes 150-175gr bullets 168 Sierra matchkings being my favorite and CCI BR2 primers to top it off. As for brass I picked up 140rnds worth of brass for $25 at a gun show, 5 boxes Norma and 2 boxes Santa Fe, I think the Santa Fe is a little better it is all old probably from the 70s all unfired even though the Santa Fe is in boxes for loaded ammo it never has been. Head stamp reads only 7.5 over TOYO if you can find it its great stuff if not go Norma.
-Johnboy

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I typically load up 41.0 grains of IMR4895 behind a 147 grain bullet. It results in about 2420fps and its accuracy is comparable to GP11. Easy on the shoulder as well...:)

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
I typically load up 41.0 grains of IMR4895 behind a 147 grain bullet. It results in about 2420fps and its accuracy is comparable to GP11. Easy on the shoulder as well...:)
What sort of shooting did you do with this load - 100-yard paper targets? I'm going to start reloading for my K31, but I'd like to try a load that'll knock over iron silhouette targets at 300-500 yards. I wonder if the 147 grain bullet might be too light for that?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
What sort of shooting did you do with this load - 100-yard paper targets? I'm going to start reloading for my K31, but I'd like to try a load that'll knock over iron silhouette targets at 300-500 yards. I wonder if the 147 grain bullet might be too light for that?
Yup, paper targets at 100 yards. If you are pushing out to longer distances and still want to have some hitting power by the time you get there, you should probably consider a heavier bullet. My interest is tight groups and consistency so the 147 gr bullet works fine for me...

·
Registered
110 Posts
..., but I'd like to try a load that'll knock over iron silhouette targets at 300-500 yards. I wonder if the 147 grain bullet might be too light for that?
Better look into the ammo requirements for silhouettes; most clubs in my area (the two in CT that do metallic silhouettes) require cast bullets to minimize target damage and such.

I know I've used a 165 gr bbfp in the K31 with decent accuracy (keep velocities under 1400 fps), but I didn't try it on the steel critters.

Good luck.

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
Better look into the ammo requirements for silhouettes; most clubs in my area (the two in CT that do metallic silhouettes) require cast bullets to minimize target damage and such.
At my club in OK, we're allowed to use just about any kind of ammo (well, within reason!) for dinging the iron silhouettes. The only restriction is that we cannot shoot from any closer than 200 yards away; even then, the targets at the 200 yard line are shot full of holes by the end of the year. The targets at the 300 yard line have some holes; the ones at the 400 and 500 yard lines are largely intact. It's pretty nice, although it's a bit annoying when you drive out from a deserted firing line to set the targets back upright on the rail ties, and when you return to the firing line, a crowd of shooters has magically appeared out of nowhere. Within 15 minutes, your efforts have been negated :rolleyes:

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
.... although it's a bit annoying when you drive out from a deserted firing line to set the targets back upright on the rail ties, and when you return to the firing line, a crowd of shooters has magically appeared out of nowhere. Within 15 minutes, your efforts have been negated :rolleyes:
The more the merrier !!! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's a website

I've never had good luck with Varget in any caliber, but others really like it. I like 165gr bullets and powders in the 4831 class for 7.5x55.

About the best data source for the K31 is these links, and many of their loads use Varget. Be aware that Varget was designed to have almost the same burn rate as IMR4064, but with a shorter granule length. I am not suggesting you use 4064 data for Varget, but it is something you can use to check Varget data.
http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/reload1.htm
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/loaddata.html
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/data.html

The SwissRifles tips on accurizing the K31 are contrary to what the Swiss did, but have won me Gold medals at Camp Perry for the past 3 years.

CDD

·
Registered
224 Posts
My "pet" load thus far for my K31 is 165gr Sierra gameking and hodgdon 4831sc. I really like the varget powder in my K98. I haven't used it in my 30-06 is quite a while but as I remember it didn't do so well. Trying to narrow my rifle powders down to one or two. Unique has won out as my all-around pistol powder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.