Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with reloading tech at Hodgedon (who also make IMR powders).

They do not list Varget loads for the 7.5 Swiss. They said to use published data for
IMR 4064 powder for 7.5 Swiss loads.

Since they make both powders.....I am good with the data.

If you wish to confirm this, ask for Mike at Hodgedons reloading dept.

Never take a load off the internet: go to a source and validate.

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of these companies who make powder or put out
reloading books are a phone call away. They are most
helpful and worth a try when you need a load start point
and that powder or bullet is not listed in the books.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
Much appreciated.

I recently began to reload and settled on Varget owing to its reputation and available load data for 7.62X54R (I shoot Finn's) and 6.5X55 Swede. I'm concentrating now on reloading 6.5X55 since M41 milsurp is hard to find.

What I like about Varget is ease of handling. I use Lee dippers to dispense powder to my scale. I weigh every load. If I overdo it a bit with the trickler, I can remove Varget granules one by one with tweezers until the scale balances.

I'm going to get a powder thrower, but only as a convenient powder dispenser to put the charge into the scale pan. There is no point in throwing "scattergun" charges for the K31.

·
Registered
647 Posts
fellas,
Varget is AR2208 made by ADI here in Australia,
go to this address, click on rifle data, acknowledge the warning and use the drop down window to find 7.5x55 swiss.
The site has a part on powder eqivalants, that is other manufacturers powders and how they compare in burning ratios etc to ADI powders.

www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide

cheers
NED
P.s. we mainly use 2209 in the swiss and swedes, in fact most mil calibres go really well with 2209. target shooters use 2208 in 308 for the need of higher velocity for the long ranges up to 1000 yds.

·
Registered
647 Posts
just a note, they don't list 2208 for the 7.5x55 but if you use your varget data then all shoulod be good. remember it's the same thing.
cheers
ned

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have been floating between 4064, RE-19 and Varget as it appeals to me as it is a dual use powder for my Swiss and AR. I am still working thru Varget loads for my Swiss and 44.0 looks to be the general load I will try. This is behind a 175gr Nosler. The loads worked up with Varget included 42.0, 44.0 and 44.5. Shot at 300M.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,561 Posts
I have been floating between 4064, RE-19 and Varget as it appeals to me as it is a dual use powder for my Swiss and AR. I am still working thru Varget loads for my Swiss and 44.0 looks to be the general load I will try. This is behind a 175gr Nosler. The loads worked up with Varget included 42.0, 44.0 and 44.5. Shot at 300M.
A very large proportion of us on swissrifles.com seem to be happy with IMR4064. I am, and have been for many years. Also good for .308Win and 7x57 Mauser - my only other calibres.

tac
Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
I use IMR 4831 in my K-31. The book doesn't list Varget is as a powder for this caliber so it won't be used in mine. My sense of adventure isn't that adventurous!
I'm new to rifle reloading, but as an old FART (Field Artilleryman, ReTired) I have a healthy respect for propellants and explosives.

From this discussion and perusal of load data, I gather that when it comes to reloading the Swiss rifles, slow burning powder is the concensus.

My Lyman manual lists IMR4064 just above Varget (position 79 and 80, respectively) and IMR4831 and Hodgdon 4831 as even slower, at position 98 and 102 respectively.

It seems to me that the slowest powder - H4831 - would be the powder of choice for the long 1911 rifle, with the others mentioned somewhat more suited to the K11 and K31.
Of course, throat and bore wear would also have to be considered.

Anyhow, for a beginner, it's great to be able to tap the experience of other reloaders so as not to have to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Besides, I have retired my K-31 and have moved on to other mil-surp rifles. The collection keeps growing so I have some that I've retired to move onto other projects. I paid 122.00 for my K-31 so it's earned its keep, and the condition of it doesn't degrade with it in the safe. But the load of IMR 4831 was doing an inch or less at 100 yards, killed 2 deer, so I figure it will just stay where it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.