Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will make a collector weep, but I'll get it back to original configuration again as soon as I can find a nice enough stock and bands. The metal parts are all there and unmodified except for the bands that are gone.

This rifle has quite a history. It is not an RC, but has had a bit to do with the Russians.... It is a battlefield pickup, found immediately after the German retreat from the Litsa front (near Murmansk, faaar north!), it was found in the mountains on the Norwegian side of the border after the Russians had swept the Germans out in 1944.

The stock was modified by the finder, an old man that was very dear to me, and as a nine year old kid I actually helped him modify the stock. (I was only 9 and did not know what I was doing...). To the old fellows there the K98s were not collectibles, there were loads of them around and they needed them for hunting, they were not sentimental about these things after what they'd gone through. So, sadly the original stock is cut to pieces, but this will be a great K98 again soon. (I'll keep the hunting stock, though, for sentimental reasons.)

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I may have a stock for your 660, it's early laminate,flat buttplate kriegsmarine marked.
I also have the barrel,sights, bands and handguard, all matched numbers.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great offer.

Thanks for that offer chasdev. Sounds like a good one. However, if it is ok with you, I'll wait until after the weekend to decide whether to take you up on that or not. The thing is, next saturday there's a fair on where I ought to be able to find a stock and bands, if so I'll save a bit of postage, customs fees etc. I think I'll try that first.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
No problem, I don't really want to sell it and if I did it would NOT be cheap!
I think it may be a bit later model as well, but I can not be sure about when it was issued.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't find an early stock for it (except for a sanded and laquered one, yuk!), but I did find a 1941 dated stock, marked brg 41 on the buttplate. This stock is really nice and the bands/bayonet lug are in great condition.

So, this stock will definitely do until I can find an early one.

So, that's quite a change. Better looking?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The upper band is later than 41, no?
It's pretty unusual to see a cupped buttplate walnut stock, nice find..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts