Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible?

My "standard" 140 grain load for the 6.5x55 has been 45 grains of H4350 under a 140 grain Remington CLSP bullet {Max in some books, please use all safety procedures in working up. Safe in my rifles, might not be in yours...}. In one of my older 6.5's this load shoots 3 shots under one inch at 100 meters consistently and in several 96/38 guns shot excellently as well.

Two recent 6.5x55 rifles BOTH will not keep this load consistently under 3, yes, THREE inches. Yet both of these newer rifles will group 140 Prvi Partizan factory ammo into tiny clusters at the 100 meter range. But they just won't produce the goods with my "standard" load. This with bullets seated various depths, etc {the two newer rifles have shorter throats}.

This H4350 load seems to be almost an accuracy standard from other sources and I am really curious if anyone else has had trouble with it. Ever!! I'm plumb stumped why my two rifles gag it out this way that that way while the one {and others before it} place every bullet dead center of the mark.

Stunned...

And by the way, how about some suggestions for accuracy and velocity loads with the 160 Hornady bullet???

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not all rifles like all loads. The go-to match load for the 30-06 was once 44 gr of H-4895 and a 165 gn match bullet. Shot great in 50% of all service rifles. In some however, it did not. That's the way it goes sometimes.~Andy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy, I'm pretty familiar with the curiousities of handloading. One such is that BOTH of these rifles shoot the load to almost exactly the same horrible groups. this falls in line with your statement in that it seems {since all three rifles are of the same make} that SOMETHING was done in the manufacture {bore, chamber, rifling, etc} design that must be effecting this load.

Such is part of what makes this an interesting hobby.

Anybody else ever had trouble with the 44 or 45 gr H4350 load? Every gun I've shot it in except... has worked great.

Also, anybody want to suggest some pet 156-160 grain bullet loads for the 6.5x55??

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you switch Lots of powder or primers? I had a really reliable 7x57 load go to heck on me when I picked up a new pound of 4831 once. After that pound, all went back to the norm.

I like any sane H-4831 charge behind a 160.~Andy

PS:It is reassuring that they both shoot your pet load badly and yet shoot the Priviti load well. It points more towards a "preference", don't you think? Other than a fault?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I agree with Ammoe, rifles can have pronounced preferences for different bullets and loads. Some can be very finicky and others will take anything you put in the chamber and shoot it well. I have a .30-06 that will only shoot 180 grain bullets with any consistent accuracy. Then I have a .308 that gets strange after 165 grain bullets. There are rifles that really do have "personalities".:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
It could also be the Rem. Core-loks if you just opened a new box. They are great bullets for the price but not the most percision made on the planet.

My Sweds and Twede's love 46.0gr of RL-22 and a 140gr Sierra Game Kings. I have not loaded any 160 grainers yet but I'll let you know when I get a load developed.

Smokepole50

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Leespeed, I have loaded 42,43,44gr H4350 behind a hornaday 140sp and it shot Ok compared to other 140 hornaday sp loads I have tried. About the same grouping and location on target as H 4831 and R22.

I save all my targets in a file for referense with notes writen on the targets, and also keep a log book of swede loads( im pretty nuts about that, LOL )

I got a very slight of bolt lift resistants at 44gr H4350 and 140 horrny. 42 gr H4350 was a 3 shot clover leaf. Though I like H4831 beter for 140 gr bullets.

I like 45.5 H4350 behind the 129 hornaday sp. Now thats a sweet load

The last 100 or so rounds ive been seating .005 off the lands and used to stay about .010, even tried some into the lands

Heck, If I were you id by some hornaday sp's and try them. I get em for about $20 per 100 box through grafs or midsouth. I also like sierra 140 gamekings

Are you shooting a ruger in 6.5x55? My ruger 270 has a large chamber and have heard rugers chambers are on the loose/large side

Good luck

Rick

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got the bugs worked out quite well.

Here's a pic of the load I settled on using the Hornady 160 grain RN. 3 shots fired from sitting on the ground at 200 yards on the big norsk reinsdyrblinker and a recent result:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Leespeed,
I think I've been cheated. Is this a Ruger feature perhaps? My Husky's only shoot the bullet into the target, not the whole case like yours!:eek: :D
Dennis
Sitting in a hotel room wishing I was on a range or hunting:mad:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, I am wishywashy.

I absolutely cannot decide if my favorite caliber is the 6.5x55 or the 9.3x57.

I guess I need a double rifle with one on one side and da'udder on da'udder...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I have found mine.

140 grain Sierra Game King, Win once fired cases, Win Primers.

I worked up from 42.5 grains of H4350 and settled in a 43.5 grains.

After settling at 43.5 I threw the charges and only weighed every 5th throw to check. Loaded 100 rounds. Weight checked charges varied + or - one tenth grain or 43.4 to 43.6

Lee Challenger press deluxe dies and finished with crimp die. As some of these cases had gone through a Model 96 I full length sized them all.

Set the bullet .005 off lands at 3.050 COL

This was my first reloading attempt but had alot of help from you guys. Had put it on paper several times tweaking scope.

Bullet only tested on flesh twice. Our gun deer season opens 10 NOV.

Coyote at 125 yds standing caught him center of shoulder high devastating wound, the yap dog did not suffer.

Armadillo at approx 150 yds, centered body, pretty much exploded.

Husqvarna 1640, 3-9 Leupold VXII, bedded receiver, free floated barrel, tradewinds adjustable trigger.

Todays target to confirm zero for hunting season. 3 rounds, 100 yds, shooting bag on Jeep hood. 3-5 mph cross wind.

I believe this will do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts