Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, & looking for input on "what is what" on this old gal from those much more in the know on these Krags.
Sad part, not original.
Good part, still a lovely rifle to use (it is what it is). Really swings up to my should nice & fits to a tee. Action is still
as slick as pup-shit on a linoleum floor.
As with many milsurps of the time they were purchased in lots & sold off "sporterized" as bargain hunting rifles.
This one I believe was done by "Globe Firearms" of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Originally in 6.5x55, the chamber was bored
out, sleeved, and recut in 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer due to the fact that it was a more readily available amunition at
the time (esp with hunting type bullets).
The barrel on this one is exactly 21" long (bolt face to muzzle). The pictures tell the rest. Please ask if more required.
A few of the items you may be able to answer.
1. Does the barrel appear to match the receiver. Reason being, is that there is no sign of the original military rear sight,
and the serial number on the barrel though close, seems less uniform than receiver due to the "7" dipping slightly.
2. On the right rear of the receiver, there are 2 screws and a bit of file/grind marks. What might have been there??
3. What exact model/configuration might this rifle have started out as ?
4. Any positive ID on the front sight?

Hope this post helps others realize what they have as other internet references get into a lot of confusion regarding
these sporters. Refering to a picture of an old Globe Firearms ad, I also believe that some Krags were done in .308 Win. .
Also,... yes I realize that the elevator is missing. The rear sight blade is also a bit loose & will rectify soon. Have thought
of adding a black forend tip to look more finished, but likely will leave as is, due to the fact it is an original piece of
"Canadiana" blasphemous or not .
Will try to follow-up with a range report once I get some ammo worked up.
Thanks in advance to all your help.
Cheers
Sparkplug (aka TheCounty or Jaguar elsewhere)

·
Registered
322 Posts
A few of the items you may be able to answer.
1. Does the barrel appear to match the receiver. Reason being, is that there is no sign of the original military rear sight,
and the serial number on the barrel though close, seems less uniform than receiver due to the "7" dipping slightly.
2. On the right rear of the receiver, there are 2 screws and a bit of file/grind marks. What might have been there??
3. What exact model/configuration might this rifle have started out as ?
4. Any positive ID on the front sight?
I see that in Canada there was a real love to sporterised Krags in 6,5x54 MS. About your questions

1.About the barrel thare are two possibility: the barrel was completely changed with a new one and the gunsmith placed the old serial number or the original barrel was only modified the chamber the new ammonition.

2. The two holes with screws where used to put a diopter sight in the rifle before to be sold to Canada and modified in a hunting one. After the end of II World War the Norwegian started to modified theyer Krags in target shooting models and civilian ones.

3. In origin your rifle was a Infantry Model 1894 Long krag.

4. Sorry I can not help about the front sight.

regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply redimacchia. Possibly you could tell me if the Model 1894 barrels had serial numbers on them as seen
in my pictures, or was this stamped afterwards as was the " 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer" .
Cheers
Sparkplug

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I am pretty sure that the barrel is original and was stamped afterwards " 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer" also shortened and rechambered. There should be a couple screw holes under the rear sight for the original one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JK, you hit the nail on the head. There is one screw hole hidden just ahead of the elevator slot under the rear sight blade and likely the other was machined out when the dovetail was cut. Now that I can see indications of the original rear sight, I am also confident that the barrel is original to the rifle. Thanks again. I've also scored a set of 6.5x54 MS reloading dies on Ebay and will follow up with a range report.
Cheers
Sparkplug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.