Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read that some M41 barrels were modified to 6.5X54 mannlicher and was wondering if there were any proof or other stampings to indicate the altered chambering. i found a shortened (22.5") M41 barrel without front or rear sights. it is accuracy marked (crossed rifles with target) as well as stamped "made in italy". i would like to install this on a carcano action, but would like to insure that it hasnt been rechambered. perhaps a chamber cast? what are the case dimension differences? thanks

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
6,5 Mannlicher is 2mm longer than 6,5 Carcano. I've never heard of M41s being so altered, but it would be very easy. Possibly some were done here post war when 6,5 Mannlicher ammo was easier to find.

Some "cerro safe" and a chamber cast will tell the tale. SW

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input, 5thDragoons. I should have both re-read and posted my information source. what I miss-read was from Hobbs Carcano book pg 40 regarding a small run of commercial target rifles by an austrian company during the 1920s. accuracy marked M91 versions were the source, some with double set triggers and of 6.5X54 caliber. the shortened barrel in my possession is most likely not one of those specially modified ones. lacking a complete rifle with the barrel, my best guess is that my "mystery barrel" came assembled from the batch of surplused carcanos from the 60s, 70s. I may mark the shoulder area of a fired case, rechamber and see where the contact points are. not very scientific. lock up with 6.5X52 case appears perfect without any bolt movement. test firing with a long string revealed no case issues or backed out primers. even so, I may anneal fired cases and use a light/moderate load for this rifle only. best, john

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, McCauley, i was unaware of that. when i am able to scope this mis-matched, shake n bake rifle, i will put up photos and targeting pics. a 2.5 power scope centered over the bore should do nicely. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Gents,

Austria-Hungary converted an unknown number of captured Italian rifles during WWI to chamber the 6.5x54mm cartridge. In 1914 when the war started, large numbers of M1903/14 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles under contract for Greece. Ammunition for this contract was being manufactured by several different munition facilities. When everything at Steyr was commandeered for the war effort, with the M1903/14 issued to units of the K.u.K., 6.5x54mm ammunition continued to be loaded.

Prior to Caporetto, there were periods of time when captured Italian ammunition was in short supply, so various lots of M91s were chamber reamed to accept the longer cartridge. Italian ammunition could still be fired when available. The head space issues were considered inconsequential during the war since there were constant shortages of serviceable weapons as the war dragged on much longer than anyone had expected (except Lord Kitchener).

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting, JPS. i wonder if they took the time to stamp the caliber change. prior to installation, a resized 6.5X52 case fit the chamber of the barrel in my possesion with hand pressure only, leaving the extractor groove exposed. after installation, (witness marks lined up perfectly), a resized dummy cartridge was fed into the chamber with a stripped bolt. no excessive turning effort nor any forward and back play. fired cases (with a string) did not exhibit any odd stretch marks, small deposits around neck area most seen when firing low pressure loads (neck doesnt expand enough to completely seal. i may add couple of grains powder to test this. i may also "smoke" or otherwise mark case shoulder area to check for contact when chambered. last 1/2 doz rounds were fired for effect from 30 yds off hand. with just a temporary sighting mark on the receiver, rifle shot to point of aim and more importantly, bullets hit the target nose first, unlike the previous sewer pipe barrel which threw key holes at that range. i shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. will add an over the bore scope and mount for more testing. pics and target info to follow. best, john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.