Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been shooting carcani on and off since 2004. The closest i have come to very good accuracy was in 2005 with an antique terni m91 long and hornady ammo. But when the temps would drop below zero the hornady ammo would tumble in that rifle. I tried the hornady load in an m38 moschetto and almost had a catastrophic failure. So i kind of gave up. About a year ago i started casting my own bullets and really got into the 6.5 carcano again. This time i found a bullet that is absolutely amazing in every carbine or rifle i have fired excluding the 91/24. The bullet is the noe 270-151 plain base. I have tried this bullet with unique and 2400 and am amazed. Clay pidgeons at 100yrds are toast. Just thought id share my results.

·
Registered
Italian WWI and WWII arms and military Mannlichers
206 Posts
My goal is to cast my own bullets one day. My first priority is trying some of these round nose bullets I have that measure at about .266. I've heard that should be near a sweet spot for bullet size.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I have not considered lead bullets becasue none of my (recent imported) Carcano have smooth enough bores. My 38TS is a good candidate, but; I plan to look for a good jacketed bullet for that. I posted a link to a very good discussion from several years back. My main take away was to slug the bores. A rough barrel, could have a slug driven in and pushed back out the same end.

Berthiercollector did not provide a lot of detail, but; it sounds like he was shooting the Hornady 268 factory ammo. The first bore was way oversize and the M38 was too tight? Now, the OP has a lead bullet (270??) that works in both. That is great. There is a guy on you tube posting similar results with his cast. Do not be fooled into thinking all Carcano are the same. Very knowledgeable people have posted to the contrary.

The issue of variation in bore size is compounded by Carcano using gain twist in many barrels. And, variety in depth of the rifling or the greater difference between lands and grooves. The sweet spot refereed to by Illinois, has to be on a case by case basis or at the least, based on the time period and model in question. My pre 1919 guns seemed to do good with a 0.268 bullet (for me). I expect the M38TS will need a smaller bullet, 264 maybe? I wont know until I come out of hibernation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With cast bullets, i could care less about groove diameter. I go off the throat. I use the biggest bullet that will chamber. I also still give rough bores a chance with lead, i just use a little more lube. However i am using lead bullets with light charges of 2400 or unique. My point about the hornady ammo was one rifle may like it while it wont work in another.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
It is all dependent on what your particular firearm will like. I load my own ammo and my particular loads (non-cast) I developed are accurate in all my Moschetti Modello 1891 and 1938's as I keep my loads at original velocity of the original cartridge. I use Hornady 160gr. .264 RN / FB bullets or original (.22675) pulled bullets.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.