Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 1640 husqvarna with a swedish mauser barrel attached - 23.5 inches long. I have one battle pack of prickskytte and a lot of commercial brass and bullets.

July 4th weekend will be a prairie dog shoot and trout fishing and wedding in Wyo. I am wanting to try out the new swede on the dogs.

I am planing on useing the following components...

Reloader 22
F215 primers
various commercial brass
120 grain and 140 grain bullets.

I want to load them up for this modern action and not for the swedish mauser. I have no other 6.5X55 so they will not end up in a military action and I'll mark the boxes "for modern actions only"... (although I am of the opinion that the swede mauser is as strong as any m98 made)

I am purusing 6.5 data but would like your input. I have some 100 grainers but am nearly certian they will be over stablized in the fast twist military barrel.

I kinda want to find a load that will land near the same place as the prickskytte but isn't that nessisary.

Opinions please...
Aaron

·
Registered
298 Posts
In my Tikka T3 in that cal I use 46.2g of RL22 with the CCI BR-2 behind the 140MK and 140 Partition. The hollow point and thin jacket of the MK would add a margin of safety for varmint use.

With my M96 with 29.1" barrel I use 44g of same powder, all else same. You really don't need to push this caliber to achieve great results, plus the BC of the MK (.535) is a huge advantage in terms of velocity retention and wind bucking. These loads should perform closely to the 2625fps of the military ammo.

Of course, observe the usual precautions and work up in increments.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Aaron;

I use 44 grains of H4350 under the Prvi Partizan 140 SP.

I've shot many hundreds of Columbia Ground Squirrels with this load and over a hundred so far this year with the load. The bullet is dirt cheap and that encourages lots of fun practice from various field positions throughout the year.

One great advantage of this method is it makes you 100% knowledgeable about the shooting characteristics of your big game load come come fall, where to hold, etc.

Some pix.

Ignore the site-illegal rifle.

I like the blunt lead Prvi bullets. Our CGS's are smaller than prairie dogs, and at this time of year {last two weeks}, very small indeed as the ones most commonly seen are this year's crop of babies; small targets.

The ones shown here are all full-size adults.

We stalk logged-over ground which with the canyons and such give shots from 10 feet to as far as you can see them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks everyone. WOW - These ground squirrels are so much bigger than our Kansas ones... the thirteen-lined ground squirrel. Where do you pick up the bullets?
Aaron
What you describe sounds like a chipmunk, which we have here; AKA "Timber Tiger". But we don't shoot the chipmunks. No reason to, and besides, what man made of flesh and blood would have the courage to face the charge of a wounded and irate Timber Tiger in the event of a muffed-up shot???

I get the Prvi's from Graf's.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
One of my Rugers is set up for the 100 grain Hornady. The Ruger 6.5x55 has a 1/8 twist and accuracy is sub-MOA so I suspect the Swede guns should do just fine with their similarly tight twist. That 100 grain load kills rats just fine, but I shoot my other 6.5x55's far more, particularly my old ski rifle set up for the 140 Prvi's. My varminting is done for practical purposes {bait shooting} and off-season big game practise and since the Prvi's are cheap I just plain like shooting them more than more pricey varmint bullets. That blunt blob of lead on the tip of the Prvi makes for highly explosive kills up close and quite destructive work way out past 100 yards or so, even at the slowish velocities churned up by the Swede.

BTW: The 100 Horny is listed by the company as a game bullet, not a varmint bullet. I've only shot ground squirrels with it but my daughter used it on a deer a couple years ago and it gave full penetration broadside, no bones hit IIRC.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I used to use the Speer 100gr.HP for ground hogs in Ontario when I was a kid, in my short barreled 6.5mag. Driving them around 3,100fps was good for groundhogs to the longest shots made, around 400yards. The rather explosive terminal effect was quite spectacular to see on these larger rodents. They'd flip and blow groundhogs like a Swift does to prairie dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts